Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

08 MKZ heated/cooled seats???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Saturday I hop in the hot rod Lincoln, notice the ventilated seat lights aren't lighting up, notice there's no air coming out of them either. Try the heated option, nothing out of that either. All other buttons and controls work just fine, just the 4 (driver/passenger) heated and ventilated buttons/lights weren't coming on. Do some internet digging, it said power goes through two different fuses, I had power. Also read up and found the control module is an isolated piece for these controls...I assumed this was the issue. Also read there was a TSB issued for 07-08 MKZ heated/ventilated seats, but couldn't access what it actually said.

Kicker to all this, since Saturday...everything worked with no issues at all. The innernets said that the control module is intermittent as it begins to fail, but typically has symptoms of running 30 seconds and then shuts off. Only other thing I can think of is interior temp of the car was beyond operating temp for the control module...it was 105* outside, 160 inside the car...warm enough to warp my dash pad.

Thought, suggestions, diagnosis procedures???

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My wife's expi has the cooled seats and it's a pretty awesome feature, eh? Never had them before now.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My wife's expi has the cooled seats and it's a pretty awesome feature, eh? Never had them before now.

Oh man...you're not kidding. I've concluded that any of my DD's will have to have them from this point forward. As noted, 3 months out of the year is 90*+, 6 months is 80*+...and in car temps can get ridiculous. Keeps the backside and family jewels from getting swampy and keeps you from sticking to the leather.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Oh man...you're not kidding. I've concluded that any of my DD's will have to have them from this point forward. As noted, 3 months out of the year is 90*+, 6 months is 80*+...and in car temps can get ridiculous. Keeps the backside and family jewels from getting swampy and keeps you from sticking to the leather.

Haha....you almost have to have something like that for leather.....even if you have a garage, if you go shopping and that thing sits for even just a half hour in that sun, you're toast and forget about wearing shorts!

There's only a month or so out here that that feature is nice, but it's still NICE!

It feels like someone is pouring ice water down your backside....love it!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And they're out again...I assume this means it is the module. Anyone know what the actual name is so I can order the part...Dual Climate Control Seat Module???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

blacksnapon

Staff member
Printable View (80 KB)
TSB
08-23-11 INOPERATIVE OR NO COMMUNICATION WITH DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL SEAT MODULE (DCSM)

Publication Date: November 10, 2008

FORD: 2007-2008 Expedition
LINCOLN: 2006 Zephyr
2007-2008 MKZ, MKX, Navigator

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2008 Expedition and Navigator, 2006 Zephyr and 2007-2008 MKZ vehicles may exhibit inoperative climate seat function with no communication to the DCSM due to a ground concern.

ACTION:
Follow service procedure to correct concern.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE ONLY APPLIES IF DAMAGE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AT THE SPECIFIC CONNECTOR AND PIN. IF DAMAGE IS NOT VISIBLE AT THE SPECIFIC CONNECTOR AND PIN, THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT APPLY AND CONTINUE WITH NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS IN THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL.

Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10 to gain access to the DCSM connector. Seat removal may be required.

Zephyr-MKZ:

If Connector C3305A is damaged at Pin M GD139 (BK-YE), then replace connector pigtail. The replacement pigtail will have an extra wire in Pin L position. (Figure 1)

Obtain Pigtail Kit. Strip the ends of the wires from Pins L and M, 1/4" (6.3 mm). Twist them together. Insert twisted wires into one end of a 12-10 gage butt splice. Using the approved splicing methods found in the Wiring Diagram (WD), Cell 5, crimp the butt connector.
Strip the end of GD139 (vehicle harness side - ground) and insert into open end of the 12-10 butt splice (at Pin M). Using the approved splicing methods found in the WD, Cell 5, crimp the butt connector and seal with shrink tubing.
Continue to attach the rest of the pigtail wires to the vehicle harness, using the approved splicing methods found in the WD, Cell 5, crimp the butt connector and seal (with shrink tubing). Wires from pins E and F will require 12-10 butt splice which is not included in the pigtail kit.
Expedition-Navigator:

If Connector C3265A is damaged at Pin M GD138 (BK-WH), then replace connector pigtail. The replacement pigtail will have an extra wire in Pin L position. (Figure 1)

Obtain Pigtail Kit. Strip the ends of the wires from Pins L and M, 1/4" (6.3 mm). Twist them together. Insert twisted wires into one end of a 12-10 gage butt splice. Using the approved splicing methods found in the Wiring Diagram (WD), Cell 5, crimp the butt connector.
Strip the end of GD139 (vehicle harness side - ground) and insert into open end of the 12-10 butt splice (at Pin M). Using the approved splicing methods found in the WD, Cell 5, crimp the butt connector and seal with shrink tubing.
Continue to attach the rest of the pigtail wires to the vehicle harness, using the approved splicing methods found in the WD, Cell 5, crimp the butt connector and seal (with shrink tubing). Wires from pins E and F will require 12-10 butt splice which is not included in the pigtail kit.
MKX:

If Connector C3036A is damaged at Pin M GD145 (BK-WH), then replace connector pigtail. The replacement pigtail will have an extra wire in Pin L position. (Figure 1)

NOTE: IF PIN M IS DAMAGED ON THE MODULE THE DCSM MAY NEED TO BE REPLACED.

Figure 1 - Article 08-23-11

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3U2Z-14S411-ZMA Pigtail Kit
7L1Z-14C724-C Module
3U2Z-14A088-CA 12-10 Butt Splice

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
082311A 2007-2008 MKX: Replace Connector, Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat (Do Not Use With 63100A, 12650D) 1.5 Hrs.
082311A 2006 Zephyr, 2007-2008 MKZ: Replace Connector, Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat (Do Not Use With 63100A, 12650D) 1.4 Hrs.
082311A 2007-2008 Expedition, Navigator: Replace Connector, Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat (Do Not Use With 63100A, 12650D) 1.3 Hrs.
082311B 2006 Zephyr, 2007-2008 MKX And MKZ: Replace Connector And DCSM, Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat (Do Not Use With 63100A, 12650D) 1.6 Hrs.
082311B 2007-2008 Expedition, Navigator: Replace Connector And DCSM, Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat (Do Not Use With 63100A, 12650D) 1.5 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
14s411 x1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

blacksnapon

Staff member
Symptom Chart

Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
No communication with the driver seat module (DSM)
Fuse
Circuitry
DSM
DEPOWER the supplemental restraint system (SRS). REFER to Section 501-20B. DISCONNECT driver seat side air bag C327. CONNECT the battery ground cable. REFER to Section 414-01.
CHECK DSM C3299a pin 2, circuit SBB32 (VT/RD) and C3299c pin 1, circuit SBB15 (WH/RD) for greater than 10 volts; REPAIR as needed. CHECK DSM C3299a pin 1, circuit GD126 (BK/WH) and C3299c pin 13, circuit GD126 (BK/WH) for less than 5 ohms to ground; REPAIR as needed. If OK, REFER to Section 418-00.
DISCONNECT the battery ground cable. CONNECT driver seat side air bag module C327. REPOWER the SRS. REFER to Section 501-20B.

No communication with the module — unable to carry out self-test with the DSM
Circuitry
DSM
REFER to Section 418-00.

No communication with the dual climate controlled seat module (DCSM)
Fuse
Circuitry
DCSM
DEPOWER the SRS. REFER to Section 501-20B. DISCONNECT passenger seat side air bag module C313. CONNECT the battery ground cable. REFER to Section 414-01. DISCONNECT and CHECK DCSM C3305A-E, circuit SBB11 (BU/RD), harness side and DCSM C3305A-F, circuit SBB12 (GN/RD), harness side for greater than 10 volts and DCSM C3305A-M, circuit GD139 (BK/YE), harness side for less than 5 ohms to ground and REPAIR as needed. If OK, REFER to Section 418-00 to diagnose the medium-speed controller area network (MS-CAN) communication bus concern. Once the repair is complete, DISCONNECT the battery ground cable. CONNECT the passenger seat side air bag module C313. REPOWER the SRS. REFER to Section 501-20B.

The power seat is inoperative — driver, with power recliner
Fuse
Circuitry
Front seat control switch
GO to Pinpoint Test A.

The power seat is inoperative — driver, without power recliner
Fuse
Circuitry
GO to Pinpoint Test B.

The power seat is inoperative — passenger
Fuse
Circuitry
GO to Pinpoint Test C.

The power seat moves but is loose
Fastening hardware
Seat track
GO to Pinpoint Test D.

The power seat moves but is noisy
Seat track
GO to Pinpoint Test E.

The power seat does not make full travel
Seat track obstructed
Seat track
GO to Pinpoint Test F.

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically/recline — driver
Circuitry
Front seat motors
GO to Pinpoint Test G.

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically — driver
Circuitry
Front seat motors
GO to Pinpoint Test H.

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically/recline — passenger
Circuitry
Front seat motors
GO to Pinpoint Test I.

The memory seat is inoperative/does not operate correctly — does not operate horizontally/vertically/recline
Circuitry
Seat control switch
DSM
GO to Pinpoint Test J.

The memory seat does not operate correctly — does not operate using the memory SET switch
Circuitry
Memory SET switch
DSM
GO to Pinpoint Test K.

The memory seat does not operate correctly — the seat moves in one second intervals
Circuitry
DSM
REFER to the Driver Seat Module (DSM) DTC Chart.

The memory seat does not operate correctly — the seat does not move to the correct memory position
Circuitry
Memory SET switch
DSM
Seat track
REFER to the Driver Seat Module (DSM) DTC Chart.

The memory seat does not operate correctly — does not operate using the remote transmitter
Circuitry
DSM
Keyless entry transmitter
VERIFY the RKE transmitter is operating correctly and is associated to a memory position. REFER to Owner's Literature or Section 501-14 for information on associating a RKE transmitter. RUN the DSM Self-Test and REFER to the Driver Seat Module (DSM) DTC Chart to diagnose any DTCs retrieved.

Easy exit/easy entry is inoperative/does not operate correctly
Circuitry
Key in ignition switch
Instrument cluster (IC) module
DSM
GO to Pinpoint Test L.

The power lumbar is inoperative — driver
Circuitry
Seat control switch
Power lumbar motor assembly
GO to Pinpoint Test M.

The power lumbar is inoperative — passenger
Circuitry
Seat control switch
Power lumbar motor assembly
GO to Pinpoint Test N.

The heated seat is inoperative — driver
Fuse
Circuitry
Heated seat switch
Seat cushion heater mat
Seat backrest heater mat
Heated seat module
GO to Pinpoint Test O.

The heated seat is inoperative — passenger
Fuse
Circuitry
Heated seat switch
Seat cushion heater mat
Seat backrest heater mat
Heated seat module
GO to Pinpoint Test P.

The heated seat is inoperative — driver seat does heat but the heated seat indicator does not illuminate when pressed
Wiring, terminals or connectors
HVAC module
Heated seat module
GO to Pinpoint Test Q.

The heated seat is inoperative — passenger seat does heat but the heated seat indicator does not illuminate when pressed
Wiring, terminals or connectors
HVAC module
Heated seat module
GO to Pinpoint Test R.

All climate controlled seats are inoperative
Fuse
Circuitry
MS-CAN communication fault
DCSM
HVAC module
VERIFY battery junction box (BJB) fuse 11 (30A) and 12 (30A) are OK. If OK, CARRY OUT the Data Links Diagnostics test using a scan tool and verify network communication of the HVAC and DCSM. REFER to Section 418-00 to diagnose a module communication or network concern. If OK, CARRY OUT the DCSM self-test and retrieve any DTCs. If any DTC is present, REFER to the Dual Climate Controlled Seat Module (DCSM) DTC Chart. CHECK the climate control system for correct operation. REFER to Section 412-00 for diagnosis of the HVAC or climate control system. If OK, INSTALL a new dual climate controlled seat module (DCSM) and CARRY OUT programmable module installation (PMI). REFER to Dual Climate Controlled Seat Module (DCSM) in this section.

A single climate controlled seat is inoperative — switch indicators may or may not illuminate
Circuitry
HVAC module
DCSM
NOTE: If a fault occurs setting a DTC specific to only one climate controlled seat, the DCSM will disable only the affected seat outputs and allow the other seat to remain operational. CHECK for DTCs specific to the affected climate controlled seat and, if a DTC is present, REFER to the Dual Climate Controlled Seat Module (DCSM) DTC Chart.
NOTE: The DCSM receives battery voltage to C3305a pins E and F. Pin F is used by the module for driver seat system operation and pin E is used for the passenger seat system operation. It may be possible for voltage to be missing from one pin location and cause only one climate controlled seat to become inoperative.
GO to Pinpoint Test AG.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Vince...I'll go back and read all that tonight. At lunch the climate control worked again. If you had to take a guess with them working so intermittently, where would you say I should take a stab first???

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Butt sweat ...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Butt sweat ...

All I have to say is...I never let anyone touch my rides...I let you touch it, and now it's broken...just sayin.smilietease

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
All I have to say is...I never let anyone touch my rides...I let you touch it, and now it's broken...just sayin.smilietease

I recall a certain macaroni making mistress driving it during my stay... :wasntme: :rofl:

Leather Seat Covers

I also installed seat coolers when I upgraded my 2009 F150 cloth seats with new leather seat covers from leatherseatcoverhq. The leather seats are great and the quality of the workmanship is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts