Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Slight resemblance between Mean Green and Toyota starter

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I was cleaning out my spare parts "cabinet"(read garage) and pulled out a starter that I had purchased years ago for a 1986 Toyota Tercel 4WD. I noticed a "slight" resemblance to a Mean Green starter that I had purchase about 5 years ago. By the way, the head on the Mean Green starter fits on the Toyota starter, exactly. HMMMMMMMMM!

The Mean Green starter is on the left.

DSCF2328.JPG

DSCF23301.JPG

DSCF23311.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I wonder if the guts and the composition are the same.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I wonder if the guts and the composition are the same.

If I thought I could get everything back together, I would take a look. I did interchange the heads and switched them back.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Reminds me of the night I swapped an 18V Dewalt drill transmission between 2 drills...hehehehehehehe.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Toyota suppliers must build a hell of a starter, all 84 up HD starters are all toyota internals, off the shelf no less.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Toyota suppliers must build a hell of a starter, all 84 up HD starters are all toyota internals, off the shelf no less.

You know how you can tell a vehicle by sound just when it is started? The first time I started my truck with the Mean Green starter, I thought to myself, "That sounds a LOT like our old toyota." Now I know.

Fellro

Staff member
Looks similar to the ones used on the Dodge Caravan lines.

Not sure which HD you refer Lester, but the 85 up diesels used Mitsubishi and Nippendenso starters. Now that I think of it, the Caravan starters are Denso as well I think. Might just be the supplier to Toyota...

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Harley Davidson

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Looks similar to the ones used on the Dodge Caravan lines.

Not sure which HD you refer Lester, but the 85 up diesels used Mitsubishi and Nippendenso starters. Now that I think of it, the Caravan starters are Denso as well I think. Might just be the supplier to Toyota...

I think the Toyotas are Nippendenso

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts