Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how big of a floor jack/jack stands do i need?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Dumb question. How safe would a couple of steel wheels welded together be to place under the tires?

andym

Real men are fanatics
I can't really see it as being unsafe, really. Junkyards almost always use old rims to hold up junk cars and people are always crawling around under them.

Better than cinder blocks anyway. :)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I can't really see it as being unsafe, really. Junkyards almost always use old rims to hold up junk cars and people are always crawling around under them.

Better than cinder blocks anyway. :)

I have 3 ton floor jacks and used them on my truck recently and held it just fine,I just looking for extra security while under my truck

andym

Real men are fanatics
I have 3 ton floor jacks and used them on my truck recently and held it just fine,I just looking for extra security while under my truck

Please tell me you meant to say "I have 3 ton jack stands" because if you are crawling under your truck and holding it up with floor jacks you are asking to die. Floor jacks can and will fail. They are hydraulic and there is nothing stopping the seals from suddenly failing and bringing the truck crashing down on your head and chest.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Please tell me you meant to say "I have 3 ton jack stands" because if you are crawling under your truck and holding it up with floor jacks you are asking to die. Floor jacks can and will fail. They are hydraulic and there is nothing stopping the seals from suddenly failing and bringing the truck crashing down on your head and chest.

I meant to say Jack stands I have 4 of them along with a 3 ton jack and I'm never under it without them.Sorry I worded it wrong.But I have known jack stands to fail too and that's why I was asking about the steel wheels.

Dumb question. How safe would a couple of steel wheels welded together be to place under the tires?

Lay the wheels down flat. I only use them on concrete. Then set the tire down in the curve again the welded in part. It will not move and is quite secure.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have a 6 ton floor jack I use for most things and a few or the compact 3 ton one to change tires. Jack stands I have 4 6 ton and a few 3 ton. I use them unless I have to be under it alot, them I use 6x6 and 4x4 wood blocks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts