Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

NEED HELP PLEASE!! 87 F250 Starter Engages but Wont Turn Over Engine

Hello and thanks for the help in advance. I recently showed interest in a neighbor's 87 F250 that wont start but just makes a fairly loud clunk(starter engages). I was hoping it would be something as simple as starter or battery. I replaced both as well as battery cable clamps which were corroded and solenoid. I also had a friend try popping the clutch(4 speed manual transmission) while I pulled it in another truck. No luck. I am starting to think it my be a blown or seized engine even though oil level is good. Please help me with further troubleshooting. I have to make the first payment to him by Friday if I'm buying the truck. It has around 150,000 miles, 4x4, and has the 5.8 liter gas motor.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you tried turning it over with a socket on the crank?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know this is really armature but I cant seem to find where attach a socket to turn it over by hand.

Should be a bolt in the center of the crank pulley.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ok I see it now.. Wow that's deep and looks like a pain to get to. I had to take a picture with my phone to see it. Any idea what size it is?

Deep socket and extension...with a breaker bar and a snipe...I'm not sure offhand of the size....guessing 7/8 to 1-1/4.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
How hard should it be to spin the pulley? I'm pretty sure I just spun the bolt but the pulley didn't budge

Bolt shouldn't spin unless you are going the wrong way....it should be a good grunt to move it

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's in neutral?....could also be something amiss in the clutch.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What happened when you pulled it and dumped the clutch?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Doesn't sound very promising.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts