Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > V6/I6 Ford Gasoline Engines

Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Replace it. it provides input that meters the air fuel mixture. Without the MAF you will get poor fuel mileage and lose performance. Without the MAF unplugged the computer is running in Limp mode.
Randy
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Replace it. it provides input that meters the air fuel mixture. Without the MAF you will get poor fuel mileage and lose performance. Without the MAF unplugged the computer is running in Limp mode.
If the computer runs in limp without the MAF plugged in, then it might not be the MAF that's creating the problem... Running in limp would mean that it's disabling other sensors too; maybe one of those other disabled sensors is the problem.

If the MAF was giving out-of-valid-range readings then the computer should be able to pick up on it during the KOER test (one would think).

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Smokey is correct in that it provides data used to determine the correct A/F mixture, and you do need it. Exactly what ills will surface, above and beyond the MIL and probably not passing emissions, I don't know. I also can not concur that pulling the plug on the MAF proves it's a failed part and I would not yet replace it until a methodical diagnosis is performed. Later today, I will look for an alldata CD that should contain the information needed to do this. These CD's contain information from the manufacturer regarding how to service this vehicle; such data is also used by the shop at the dealerships. In this case, I will see if the CD provides a nice, convenient flowchart to help diagnose the problem in a orderly, systematic, and professional fashion. I will also see if I can locate the pinpoint diagnostic procedure for the MAF on this CD.

I would suggest plugging the MAF back in, clearing all codes, then go for a drive (or a few). Now pull codes and post all of them here. Make sure you note which they are, KOEO, KOER, or CM. To fix the problem correctly, you need to fix the codes in that order and withing each class (KOER for example) you need to fix them in a numerically ascending order. Failure to do this will produce unpredictable results as well as probably increase frustration and increase the chance of buying parts that didn't need to be replaced. People often think that codes and problems are always fixed by just "replacing a sensor". Sometimes that works, and sometimes not. Sometimes fixing one of the codes, a lower numbered code for example, clears another higher number code, one that may cause a person to think a sensor is bad. Fix that higher numbered code first and you may have just wasted time and money. See why it would be nice to get your hands on a flowchart and any needed pinpoint diagnostic proceedures?

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
I can't seem to find any mention of which engine you're working on-- but Bill mentioned the 4.0 a couple times and we're in the V6 section, so I'm going to assume that's what we're working with. Here's the procedure for testing a MAF sensor on a 95 Ranger with a 4.0.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Dang chris you beat me I was just ftping up the same image. My dial up is to dang slow LOL
Randy
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Lol. Gotta be QUICK!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

Quick and dial up doesn't belong in the same sentence.
Randy
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Quick and dial up doesn't belong in the same sentence.
Yeah I hear ya. Gotta get with the times Dialup is SOOOO 1998

Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Bob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud ofBob Ayers has much to be proud of
Mike, you might try cleaning your MAF sensor. If the element is dirty, it will measure less airflow than is actually flowing, causing a lean condition, which results in "pinging".

A dirty MAF sensor will also cause the PCM to throw "LEAN" codes, which you are getting.

Bill has mentioned this same thing in his previous post.

One question, have you been running a K&N airfilter? If so, they are known to contaminate the MAF sensor, causing the problem you have described, as well as gumming up your
throttle body, and IAC valve.
1981 Mercedes 300D
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L FFV 2WD
Photo Site: photos

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 12-03-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Mr.Mike1960 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, i will check it out and let ya know!