Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 01-24-2020, 11:22 PM
crank polisher

Blue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to behold
Just a thought, E40D's have a nasty little habit, when an aftermarket filter is installed, sometimes it falls out. Symptoms include, locked TC causing a stall when shifted into reverse, slipping TC in forward gears, erratic shifts, and other goofy things.

Do a little research on that one, might be worth checking out. It's happened to me, twice.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2020, 06:55 PM
Micro Machine Manager

Kaajot is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut97 View Post
Just a thought, E40D's have a nasty little habit, when an aftermarket filter is installed, sometimes it falls out. Symptoms include, locked TC causing a stall when shifted into reverse, slipping TC in forward gears, erratic shifts, and other goofy things.

Do a little research on that one, might be worth checking out. It's happened to me, twice.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Thanks Blue, I'm keeping that in my hip pocket. I've read it a few times and mentioned to the mechanic, he said "probably not" because "it has a snap-on" for the tranny filter. To me, that just means the snap-on feature could be faulty, but the old filter wasn't falling out either and held in place per his examination.

But I do have an interesting update, see new pictures on next post, in regards to the transmission's first primary target repair.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:03 PM
Micro Machine Manager

Exclamation It's The Tranny's holes -- they're plugged!

So, funny tittle indeed: Love a good Tranny Hole, but here's proof.

The plug side of my transmission is missing a pin, which is broke off on the vehicle side plug (ie tranny hole is filled!).

So we're doing that. It also managed to kill my 7th MAP Sensor in 3 years.... That code showed up, doing solid here.

Also attaching pictures of the PCM ground I cleaned up at the driver side headlight and the old eyelets with green rust.

I didn't take pictures of the galvanized/oxidized battery cable that supplied power from the starter solenoid to the 60 amp in-line fuse, but we also did repair that because it was 100% corroded and the reason why the amp wasn't firing the speakers. So that electrical is also repaired. Slowly nicking all the bad faults in the electrical system. Hoping my repairs have allowed him to use the snap-on diagnostic tool now, didn't inquire, and maybe run a KOEO and then KOER.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tranny Hole Filled.jpg (10.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Old Grounds at Headlight.JPG (123.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg New Grounds at Headlight.JPG (87.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Micro Machine Manager

Code Update

Hey all-

So, we're waiting on a new MAP Sensor (7th one's the charm, right?). Old one was burnt up by the transmission pin (apparently that was the pin that went from the transmission to the MAP Sensor, of course).

However, I'm not sure if it was my repair to my Amp's rotten 4 gauge power wire from the starter solenoid to the in-line fuse going to the Amp, or the grounding repair at the headlight, but the Snap On reader now pulls codes and runs KOEO and KOER. That's how Keith, my mechanic, pulled the newest code with "bad MAP." Apparently he was able to pull those codes before he even found the transmission pin repair, so one of my two repairs fixed the PCM enough to get codes and EO ER tests.

Thanks Dusty and everyone for that help, will let you know what happens once the MAP is installed. Warrantied TPS from rock auto was also replaced.

Currently shifts hard but runs strong, hoping the MAP fixes the hard shifting. I believe it's not dying though in reverse or low rpms since the transmission pins were repaired.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Micro Machine Manager

I just did a very quick visual analysis of the Generations of Ford Truck Forums by the number of threads/posts.

Generation 8-9 dwarfs everything by comparison. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Are these trucks loved the most, or problematic the most? Should I have given up on Red IX awhile ago?

Slightly concerned after $3700 between new engine, new air rails, new smog pump, new power steering pump, new TPS, new MAP, several wiring repairs, a transmission wiring repair, and the fluids to go in on all this.

Other question:

The old "donor engine" from an 88 or 89 F-150 had a different position for its oil dip stick. I now have a 92 4.9L 300-L6, as I had before the donor engine. However, I don't think we kept the oil dip stick, so where can I track one down?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:12 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
There are still a whole bunch of those on the road.
You can totally rebuild that truck, and still have way less money in it than a new truck

I found a dipstick and tube for my 94 on ebay, and for a decent price

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If I keep getting banned from forums, and warned on Facebook, pretty soon I'll learn to behave
Old 01-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Micro Machine Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
There are still a whole bunch of those on the road.
You can totally rebuild that truck, and still have way less money in it than a new truck

I found a dipstick and tube for my 94 on ebay, and for a decent price

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
True, and we've just about rebuilt it twice. I think I've put $6K+ into it since 2017 "rebuilding" stuff, but shouldn't have had to spend maybe $2500 of that but you know about the motor mounts and the other part apparently was this transmission pin and the last part was probably bad grounds and rotten wires at the amp causing voltage burn outs.

Dusty, do you know what the OEM part number FZFA, etc for the dip stick tube to fit the 300-6 4.9L from 1991-1995/96? I know I can call a Ford dealership parts dept, figured maybe you had the part number.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
If I may answer that...... The number I found is E5TZ-7A228-H. There is also a E5TZ-7A228-E, which has been discontinued. Fits a 1992 F-150 6 cyl with E40OD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Micro Machine Manager

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
If I may answer that...... The number I found is E5TZ-7A228-H. There is also a E5TZ-7A228-E, which has been discontinued. Fits a 1992 F-150 6 cyl with E40OD.
Thanks fatherdoug!

EDIT: Is that for the transmission? I'm looking for the engine oil dip stick...
I did a search on ebay first with the Ford Manf # and turned up with this listing, which is a transmission oil tube.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-96-BRONC...4AAOSwXBdeEihW

That'll make the search easier. 1992 4.9l 300-6 dipstick tube isn't striking gold on ebay, but that part number might turn up some graveyards holding onto black gold measuring sticks for my year 300-6 engine.

Old Gen 8 300-6 Engines probably used that plus -A through -D dip stick, which mounts to a different location on the engine block, hence why I got no dip stick right now (just a nice plug). I think the loaner engine was a 1989 300-6.

Last edited by Kaajot; 01-29-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Transmission Oil Tube?
Old 01-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
That is the oil filler tube.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1355992818 You asked for the dipstick tube, which is the part number I supplied. I don't know the number for the dipstick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!

Tags
battery drop and stall, code 628, code 638, e4od, reverse stall