Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some help, smog pump output? is it working and valv/sensor at bottom of air cleaner.

After a few weeks hiatus I am back to work on the 79 F250 460 auto in CA. I was messing with the timing as it seems that the distributor moved and kicked it out of the legal limit. I reset it to 14* like the tag and smog guy quoted me. I got to thinking what he had said made it fail. He said that it was the too high a CO2 level. So 2 things I just found. The sensor/valve at the bottom of the air cleaner that is connected to the passenger valve cover PVC. Am I to understand that it is a temp valve that closes, cutting off vacuum at a preset temperature and allowing the flapper to open on the snorkel to allow cool air in? If this valve is faulty is it the culprit that is keeping my flapper closed all the time even when running? I have to disconnect the hose to the flapper to get cool air in. If it is bad, are these available over the counter or is it search and destroy mission to find? Secondly since the tech said I was not getting enough air could cause the failure so I am wondering if the amount of air the smog is pumping is up to the task or not. Has anyone disconnected the hose at the divertor(if that is what it's called)? while the motor is running at idle is there a large amount of air being pumped or is it just noticeable ? I could not tell if any air was being pumped or not to be honest at the divertor end. Any ideas or insight is helpful. Don't want to just go buy parts(if available) if these may not be the problems. Thanks...Mo

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles