Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.1

Superduty Gen.1 1999-2007 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM

Kaajot is on a distinguished road
F250 Turbo Diesel SuperDuty Super Cab/Crew Cab Search

Hi-

I'm normally in the 8/9 Generation forums for my 1992 F-150, but I'm looking for something with a little more pulling power and versatility.

I found a pretty nice 2002 SD Turbo Diesel 7.3L Crew Cab for about $13.5K, 141K miles. It's a PA truck, I'm in upstate New York.

I was told by the dealership that there was something more-reliable about the 2003 and earlier Diesels (guessing 1999-2003?). Is this true? Is this the diesel I should be looking for?

Any recommendations or pointers gladly accepted. Thanks!

-KJ
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
7.3's were pretty dependable trucks.. very rarely did they have any issues. they are still highly sought after today for that reason.. 7.3L have a long span of years to pick from.. the biggest question in there is what did the Previous Owner's do with it that will really determine how reliable they would be for you...

basically what your person at the dealership was trying to say was the end of 03 was when the 6.0's were introduced.. the engines that followed tend to be more problematic than the 7.3's were.. dont get me wrong there are some good 6.0L,6.4L,6.7L out there that arent as problematic.. but finding them is the harder part..

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 05-17-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
7.3's were pretty dependable trucks.. very rarely did they have any issues. they are still highly sought after today for that reason.. 7.3L have a long span of years to pick from.. the biggest question in there is what did the Previous Owner's do with it that will really determine how reliable they would be for you...

basically what your person at the dealership was trying to say was the end of 03 was when the 6.0's were introduced.. the engines that followed tend to be more problematic than the 7.3's were.. dont get me wrong there are some good 6.0L,6.4L,6.7L out there that arent as problematic.. but finding them is the harder part..
Cool, thanks Sparky.

I test-drove the 2002 F250 turbo diesel. It seemed to run ok. It had underliner coating to protect against the winter salting. They said it had a new turbo installed in it, but from my research it looks like all of the 7.3Ls were Turbo Diesel? Why would they have to put a new one in?

I found similar trucks for $2-$3K cheaper than their $13.5K asking price in the 80K-160K mile range. Sounds like a 1999-2003 F250 turbo diesel is a good bet.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
The actual turbocharger is a maintenance item. They eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
The actual turbocharger is a maintenance item. They eventually wear out and need to be replaced.
Good to know! What's the typical value of a turbo charger plus install on this series?

I think the dealer paid $8K-$9.5K for the truck at auction, then added the turbo charger maintenance and set the price to $13.5K.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
actually not all the 7.3's came with a turbo. The earlier ones just ran off compression in the cylinders alone. which resulted in really slow (pigs crawl) acceleration. Not sure when exactly they introduced the turbo's to them either. but i think it was 99 when they added one.

Franks correct. The turbos are a maintenance item that do eventually wear out. i know my 6.0 has had 4 of them in its history and after i got it i had to rebuild it just last spring.

Rebuild you can do it yourself for less than $800 (cheaper if your just doing bearing and seals).. full replacement if you got flea bay 900 maybe.. other places your looking $1200 minimum... as for a shop to change them, couldnt tell you.

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 09-18-2015, 11:49 PM
PA Chapter leader

Lost is a glorious beacon of lightLost is a glorious beacon of lightLost is a glorious beacon of lightLost is a glorious beacon of lightLost is a glorious beacon of light
The 7.3 is great . I see allot of newer 6.0 sitting cheap on lots not no will touch them it seem .

94 F150 302 MAf E4od sc long bed 4x4 3:55 LS rears
9MM Ford racing wires MSD cap & rotor and Blaster coil coil . 14-15 MPG Thanks

95 F150 300-6 auto 4x4 8 ft bed barney mobile (yep its purple) . 1 ton front coil and f260 rear leaf suspension Its the plow/firewood truck