Thread: brake grease
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73F100Shortbed View Post
Where the pads slide on calipers you can file a little bit of the paint away on pad so it may not bind up as much. Then put any type of brake grease or anti-sieze and you should be good for awhile. For whatever reason some brands of pads get a little carried away with the paint.
After the third round of this, I'm pretty sure I've cleaned all the paint off, and it's just rust on there.

Used a wire wheel this time because it was there (and a little with the file); other times I've done it with a file because that's what's in my "carry" toolbox.

They're moving freely now; don't seem to have done any damage to the pads/rotors (didn't drive very far). Let's see how long they stay free, now...

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed (not running)-- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed (gone)
1986 BMW R80 -- 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 3.5L 6-cyl 6-speed

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling