Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need Help, and Advice, 98 F-150 4.6L Triton V8

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Hey guys, gonna be trying to fix my girlfriends 1998 F-150 Extended Cab w/ 3rd Door, and 4X4. the engine is a 4.6L Triton V8, Auto tranny. She says the engine blew 4 cylinders, and I'm not sure what else. Basically, I need to know if I can rebuild the engine, replace it, and jsut replace stuff like the starter, Alternator, crap like that.
Also, what is the easiest way to move a vehicle if I don't have a flat bed trailer available. Stock Axels with 365-65-R16 tires front and rear with 8 inch lift. Truck is located in Graham, NC and needs to be moved to either Amelia, OH or Jacksonville NC. The tranny should still be good.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

torkum

Tennessee Chapter member
Do you know exactly what happened to the motor? Never heard of one blowing 4 cylinders, maybe a head gasket on 1 bank.
If you have never rebuilt a Triton/Modular motor I would not try it. The Tritons have very tight tolerances and a mistake could cost you a motor.
Check with you local parts store for a reman or even a used motor. Installing the motor is plug and play.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Do you know exactly what happened to the motor? Never heard of one blowing 4 cylinders, maybe a head gasket on 1 bank.
If you have never rebuilt a Triton/Modular motor I would not try it. The Tritons have very tight tolerances and a mistake could cost you a motor.
Check with you local parts store for a reman or even a used motor. Installing the motor is plug and play.

I agree 100% with this. they are a PIA to rebuild yourself. I took mine to a performance shop once I got into it realizing how hard it was to rebuild. The easiest way I can tell you to move it is with a uhaul trailer. NOT the tow dolly. Our trucks WILL NOT fit on them!!! I tried and failed!!! With you being overseas that is going to make it a little harder to determine what is actually wrong with it also.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Can you connect a tow bar to the frame, and tow it like that. I kinda figured the best bet was gonna be to just replace the motor.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I would think so, my truck has two tow hooks on the frame in the front. I would think you would be able to remove those and add a tow bar.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Do you know where I can maybe rent one, buy one, or how hard it is to make one? What about lights while I am towing it.

DocsAngel

Its a Corpsman thing
Thanks for the help guys :) the mechanic that looked at my engine told my dad irectly what is wrong w it, I got the dumb girl version: it's broke needs a new engine. Best I've been able to put together is that when the wires got spliced on my crank shaft sensor it got run too long without putting it back together, threw off the timing and really screwed it up. I know i have 50% or less compresion in three cylinders and absolutely 0% in the fourth. Beyond that I'm not sure. But again everyone thank you so much any and all advice, warnings, and hazard labels are welcome.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Yea, I was planning on doing that. Now I just have to find a towbar that will work.
So anyhow, yea guys, say :welcome: to my Girlfriend, "Angel"
Angel, Say hi to the Guys....

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
Best I've been able to put together is that when the wires got spliced on my crank shaft sensor it got run too long without putting it back together, threw off the timing and really screwed it up. I know i have 50% or less compresion in three cylinders and absolutely 0% in the fourth. Beyond that I'm not sure.

sounds like maybe some burnt valvles ot detonated and popped some pistons.... eitherway that motor sounds like it is toast.... after re-building a few mod motors i agree with everone else, not worth it, especially since you can get new once at a pretty good price even through ford.

try to find a later model (02-05?) explorer with the 2v 4.6 V8, if you can find one with low miles wrecked in a yard they have the PI heads and an all aluminum block

DocsAngel

Its a Corpsman thing
i guess my biggest concern is would it be worth it to put a brand new motor in her or would it be satifying to pull one out of a junkyard? obviously being reasonable about the one i pull- does anyone know the reative dependancy and life expectancy of this particular triton? a friend of mine has ruined two already in his '02 f-150, granted that may just be him but i guess im babbling this in relation to again.... buy new or risk used? any input?

blacksnapon

Staff member
i guess my biggest concern is would it be worth it to put a brand new motor in her or would it be satifying to pull one out of a junkyard? obviously being reasonable about the one i pull- does anyone know the reative dependancy and life expectancy of this particular triton? a friend of mine has ruined two already in his '02 f-150, granted that may just be him but i guess im babbling this in relation to again.... buy new or risk used? any input?
The replacement engine would be a crapshoot as far as reliability (used or reman). The reman would depend on the skill of the builder, and you dont know about the "previous" life of the used engine. Just do a lot of research.

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'

it all depends on how well it was taken care of. My suggestion is find a yard that has some descent newer wrecked f-150s/v8 explorers/mustangs that they don't keep out in the u-pull it yard. i have a friend of mine who found a yard with a wrecked v8 explorer with 50k on the 4.6 and he dropped it into his T-bird. the junkyard even gave him a 12 month 12k warranty on the motor.

as far as re-builders i'm sure that there are many local re-build shop that i can't really help you with, but my opinion is that a Motorcraft reman from ford are some of the best you can get. asside from that there is jasper which is hit ot miss, there is also RMP based out philly and they are owned by the company i work for, so if you wan i MIGHT be able to get you a discount through them on a re-man. our cost on a pre 2000 4.6 reman is $2,771 if i were able to get a discount you would be looking at a total close to that, core charge is about 800$. list price from RMP is $3,359

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Thanks for the numbers man, we will keep that in mind. Just looking to find a flatbed that I can borrow when I go to pick it up,

DocsAngel

Its a Corpsman thing
as far as re-builders i'm sure that there are many local re-build shop that i can't really help you with, but my opinion is that a Motorcraft reman from ford are some of the best you can get. asside from that there is jasper which is hit ot miss, there is also RMP based out philly and they are owned by the company i work for, so if you wan i MIGHT be able to get you a discount through them on a re-man. our cost on a pre 2000 4.6 reman is $2,771 if i were able to get a discount you would be looking at a total close to that, core charge is about 800$. list price from RMP is $3,359

thanks kevsha, when we get down to the bolts i might take you up on that. Im gonna try your first thought and see if i can find a junkyard w a good warranty deal like the one you mentioned- it will just come down to money and long term vs short term fix >.< but if i can swing it i would like to put a new one in so i'll keep you in mind. thnks again

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines

Kev, Do you have an idea of what it would cost to ship a motor, or would it be cheaper to make the road trip to pick it up?

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Without being able to put eyes on the truck, how can I figure out if the motor is a 6 or 8 bolt flywheel?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
A tuner is your best bet

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts