Ford Truck Fanatics

Ford Truck Fanatics (http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L/5.4L/V10 Modulars (http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Spark plug time (http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40008)

amkatt1 05-18-2016 10:57 PM

Spark plug time

I really need to change the plugs on the 4.6 Triton. From my online research of this job, it is a chore (and a half!) And it's an expensive job to get the dealership to do from what people have posted. Any advice is much appreciated!! Or should I do myself a favour and just bring it in...?

thanks guys :wavey:

smokey 05-19-2016 05:59 AM

the 4.6 plug change on the rear plugs is a Bugger.
I created a few new curse words. cursed the engineering ideas of the idiots that designed it that way.
I think putting the wires back on was worse than the plug removal. If you have smaller arms and hands it might be easier but I have bigger hands and getting into some of the spots was trying to say the least.

amkatt1 05-19-2016 10:54 AM

Thanks Randy. Afraid I was going to hear that. Looks like the fuel rail needs to be removed too? This job would probably take me 2 days...:(

blacksnapon 05-19-2016 06:29 PM

to do the job, do everything that you've always been told not to do. warm the engine first, remove the pcm and bracket. with a 7mm socket, remove each coil.spray a little light oil in the plug hole. using an impact wrench and extension(yeah you read that right) remove the plugs. I guess it's the shock of the impact that releases them but they'll come out pretty easy. Now. remember, it's just the 3 valve engines that have this problem.

fatherdoug 05-19-2016 06:46 PM

Prayers being sent your way, Roy..........:)

amkatt1 05-19-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksnapon (Post 678648)
to do the job, do everything that you've always been told not to do. warm the engine first, remove the pcm and bracket. with a 7mm socket, remove each coil.spray a little light oil in the plug hole. using an impact wrench and extension(yeah you read that right) remove the plugs. I guess it's the shock of the impact that releases them but they'll come out pretty easy. Now. remember, it's just the 3 valve engines that have this problem.

Thank you Vince. Forgot to mention that my truck is a 2001 with the 4.6 Triton. I believe it is not the 3v engine, they came out in 2004?

amkatt1 05-19-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatherdoug (Post 678649)
Prayers being sent your way, Roy..........:)

Oh boy...lol thank you Doug. Been putting this off for over a year, it really needs to be done.

cbaker65 05-19-2016 07:11 PM

My prayers to you as well!...smilieeatndrink

Thank God I have small hands ,now I know why my Dad always
made me do it!...'smiliedoh'

fatherdoug 05-19-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amkatt1 (Post 678652)
Oh boy...lol thank you Doug. Been putting this off for over a year, it really needs to be done.

I'm dreading changing the power steering pump on the not-ford. The local mechanic refused to do it. :suspicious:

amkatt1 05-20-2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaker65 (Post 678654)
My prayers to you as well!...smilieeatndrink

Thank God I have small hands ,now I know why my Dad always
made me do it!...'smiliedoh'

Thanks CB, lol!