Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

bought a used 08 F450 ---> warranty and gearing questions

First post here.

I purchased a used 08 F450 with 57K miles on it today. Gearing is 4.88.

1.) I know the general rule of thumb is never get an extended warranty. But I thought it was so cheap for 4 years at $2,400 I figured it would easily pay for itself. Ok so what do you all think? 4 years or 48K miles more. Is this worth it or should I get my money back with the 30 day period? smilieeatndrink

2.) What do you think about the 4.88 gearing? I'm told it halls better but slightly reduces the already crappy MPG. For the price, I was willing to sacrifice because this truck will only really be used for 5th wheel hauling and very little else. Your thoughts? [confused]

This is my first truck and my first diesel so assume I know nothing.

For 5th wheel hauling the 4.88 will suit you very well unless you are4 doing a bunch of higher than highway speed stuff. As for the warranty if it is a fomoco warranty and is a bumper to bumper warranty that starts when the original ends it sounds like a good deal.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
First off, welcome to FTF! :wavey:

re: Warranty. Absolutely keep it. Will you probably need it? Nope. Will you be darned glad you have it if you do need it? Yoo betcha.

A lot of people say that the extended warranties from best buy and places like that are ripoffs, I disagree. Mostly they cover accidentals that manufacturer warranties do not cover. They also do cover eventual replacement for "Lemons", we had a refrigerator that fell under that and they gave us a store credit to use towards a new one.

The extended warranty is the Ford Premium Care covering 500+ key components of the truck. There is a $100 deductible and it comes with Ford road side assistance as well.

The only warranty left on the truck is the 100K mile engine warranty and then a 1 month basic warranty they give with the sale of a used truck.

So this warranty covers 4 years from today or 48,000 miles. In my case, 4 years will come a lot sooner then 48,000 miles.

I read lot here before I bought the truck so I appreciate all the expertise you offer. Thanks for all your thoughts!

blacksnapon

Staff member
The extended warranty is the Ford Premium Care covering 500+ key components of the truck. There is a $100 deductible and it comes with Ford road side assistance as well.

The only warranty left on the truck is the 100K mile engine warranty and then a 1 month basic warranty they give with the sale of a used truck.

So this warranty covers 4 years from today or 48,000 miles. In my case, 4 years will come a lot sooner then 48,000 miles.

I read lot here before I bought the truck so I appreciate all the expertise you offer. Thanks for all your thoughts!
If I had to pick something more important to do, good fuel, and good maintenance.

Besides changing synthetic oil every 10K, keeping filter clean, tire pressure, and breaks in check, what else is there anything major I'm missing with the basics?

How do you know if the fuel from 76 / Chevron / shell is high quality or not? When there is only one diesel pump, you don't have a whole lot of choice do you? Remember, I don't know nuttin' here. I need remedial help.

I always buy as much warranty as I can get. Then again I'm a landscape contractor. The guys I have working for me could break anything.

Is it 4 wheel drive? Auto or stick?

Shell Rotella is a great oil for diesel engines.

blacksnapon

Staff member
How do you know if the fuel from 76 / Chevron / shell is high quality or not? When there is only one diesel pump, you don't have a whole lot of choice do you? Remember, I don't know nuttin' here. I need remedial help.
For the best insurance, use a quality cetane booster every tank.

For the best insurance, use a quality cetane booster every tank.

Thats one thing i was going to say. Motorcraft has a cetane booster that is highly recommened to use on all diesels, it is supposed to help with the fuel mileage by at least 1-2mpgs and it bumps the cetane up to where ford recommends it @ if used with every tank and it keeps the egr system cleaner, being that the fuel is of better quality and burns better. Best of luck... The motorcraft part number for the cetane booster is PM-22-A.

I always buy as much warranty as I can get. Then again I'm a landscape contractor. The guys I have working for me could break anything.

Is it 4 wheel drive? Auto or stick?

Shell Rotella is a great oil for diesel engines.

The truck is a F450 4x4 with offroad package and automatic.

I would assume I would use 4 x 2 setting for best mileage until I reach the dirt roads.

Off a different thread I read up on what cetane means etc and gather the following:

Ford says that 45 is the minimum recommended CETANE level. The minimum specs at the pumps in the States is 38 to 40.

I live in CA where the minimum is 50 so I'm guessing the booster probably would not do much for me here in CA?

Yes, 4x4 requires a slippery surface to operate properly. If you use 4x4 on pavement the tires can't slip to relieve stresses in the drivetrain. The stress and strain builds up until something breaks.

Some trucks can lock up so fast that 10 feet on pavement and you can't budge the lever to get it back out of 4x4.

AWD is different. With all wheel drive there are clutches in the drivetrain that allow slippage. That's how Audi works.

Jeep has a fulltime 4x4 system called Quadratrac that works the same way. It also has a vacuum switch to lock the transfer case for more traditional 4x4 mode.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I guess my MH all wheel drive has clutches...never knew that....just being a smartazz..AWD does not always have clutches...just another word for 4wd...a 203 transfer case has a proportioning differential in it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
also the truck should not lock down if the front and rear tires are the same and if they are geared the same... While driving on dry pavement is unnecceasry and rough on your 4wd it shouldn't just lock the truck down...

Shouldn't, but it does. Especially on anything 3/4 or bigger for some reason. My 76 F-250 woud lock up tight as a drum just getting out of the mud and onto pavement.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would suspect a mismatch somewhere in the driveline...that does not sound normal.

Ford Truck Articles