Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tires

right now i run sport king A/T in the 31x10.5R15 variety, what would you all recomend for a good mud tire BUT it also has to wear well on pavement( so that rules out swampers and TSL's from what i have read) I also read that it is recomended that you air down your pressure to 15-20 psi for mud? i also plan on doing a bit of silver lake sand dune play any recomendations?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A good tire that will last a while...I'd recommend the Cooper STT's. They look good, wear well and are a capable tire. If you wanna go cheaper yet, go with the Timberline M/T's, also a good mud tire, pretty decent wear and what you'd expect from a M/T.

As for airing down...it's always a good idea to air down when offroad. It leaves a bigger foot print allowing it to be more pliable, have more area to grip and allows better flotation. For mud, I usually don't air down more than 20-25 psi. For trails I air down to 10-15 psi. For sand, you want the biggest foot print possible and I air down to 7-10 psi.

see only place i have ever aired down was at the sand dunes, i understand the whole footprint thing but as a whole for some reason it does not make since to air down for mud. maybe because all i have ever been around was family members who drove the truck to the trail then on the trail then back home again with no airing down except for on nothing but sand. i dunno

EDIT... also what is the max size i could fit in my stock suspension

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't religiously air down in mud, and it didn't make sense to me to begin with either. I think it would especially make sense for a lighter rig to air down in mud because they are trying to stay on top of the mud instead of get down and rip through it. So I get that. I think the advantages of heavier vehicles airing down are minimal, except for the fact it's allowing you more surface area, which allow more grip from the tire. Which as I said, I personally think it's a minimal advantage.

flathead95hp

Always a Ford Guy
I have BFG Mud Terrains on mine and they seem to wear well and there isn't much road noise either. They are 35x12.50/16.5's

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have BFG Mud Terrains on mine and they seem to wear well and there isn't much road noise either. They are 35x12.50/16.5's

I loooooooove the BFG M/T's too, but they stopped making them or I woulda probably suggested them. They were replaced with the KM2's I believe. So the original M/T's are gonna get harder and harder to find, and I'm sure there are some that have already begun to dry rot. I think the new KM2's are ugly, and wish they woulda kept the originals.

flathead95hp

Always a Ford Guy
I loooooooove the BFG M/T's too, but they stopped making them or I woulda probably suggested them. They were replaced with the KM2's I believe. So the original M/T's are gonna get harder and harder to find, and I'm sure there are some that have already begun to dry rot. I think the new KM2's are ugly, and wish they woulda kept the originals.

Those M/T's are great, I love em. I still have lots of tread on mine and they're 5 years old! Hopefully they'll last forever.LOL

I also recomend the cooper stt's. I know two guys, one with a 76 f150 with 35" stt's, and a guy with a toyota (Ick, the word sounds discusting) and 33" sst's. Both of those trucks do very well. The most Ive seen them in action is in the snow. As for airing down, Im no expert on mud or sand, but in snow airing down helps. Ive got BFG A/T T/A's and when in the snow I drop to about 15-20 psi and it makes all the difference.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts