Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Very low boost......

korg70kbc

California Chapter member
I FINALLY got gauges put in my truck today. I've known I had a pretty big loss of power but no one believed me. FINALLY, a person who know's these trucks drove it today!!!
Well, said to check the wastegate & told me what to tell u. The turbo is NOT spooling!!!!
He says I have 15 boost at full throttle & under 5 at 1/2 throttle!!! What should I be checking next?
THere are other things I found recently that he confirmed, but I need to deal with this 1st.

Thanks in advance.
Laurie

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Make sure the waste gate isn't stuck partly open, make sure the butterfly on the exhaust outlet isn't stuck partly closed and also check to make sure the turbo accually spins freely by hand.

korg70kbc

California Chapter member
Make sure the waste gate isn't stuck partly open,
No problem....HOW???
make sure the butterfly on the exhaust outlet isn't stuck partly closed
NP....again.............HOW?
and also check to make sure the turbo accually spins freely by hand.
Yes, It does! no contact at all.
WHat about that EBP tube? should I clean it......just a ? since I'm tearing this thing down today to clean all boots, CAC's etc.
I also was going to check the up pipe today!! Just in case theres a leak
I did find I'm actually running lower then I thought on boost. So, time to crawl around again.
The waste gate is what I was told, but I allow no one to touch the truck till I gather all info.
Thanks for ur help. Very much appreciated!!!!YelloThumbUp

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
check fuel pressure first. low fuel pressure can cause low boost. you will have to remove either on of the brass plugs in the top of the head to check it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
What is the normal boost level on stock vgt turbo for an 03 F350 6.0 anyway?
They've been known to reach 23 psi. Most generally, 19 is more realistic.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Is that a function of the new computer flashes?
I dont think its as much a function as it is a result. The flashes adjust a lot of perameters, and loss of higher boost is a result of it. Your turbo is severely pitted inside, and it will be slightly down from normal. The new unison ring I installed wouldnt fit at first. I had to file down the body of the turbo to get it to rotate freely because of the pitting.

Probably a result of the last goof ball who owned the truck and his un-oiled K&N air filter I yanked out when I got the truck. At least I found a few places that will rebuild them for about $450-$500. At worst I'll have to pay $800-$1000 this summer to replace it with an OEM rebuilt VGT. Not too terrible a price. But I'll wait till summer so the weather won't be such a factor with me making it to work. Had to sleep a work the other night due to all the hail and freezing rain in the Dixon area. Kind of sucked.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
At least I found a few places that will rebuild them for about $450-$500.
Ah, WHERE?!? I got a stock VGT I'd like rebuilt and a, sorta used, 64mm Non-VGT I'd like rebuilt so I can SELL the sob. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts