Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need help with Ranger start

Recently got 99 ranger, has been sitting awhile before I got it Has been running OK till this morning< I started it and ran OK ,shut it of a few minuets later tried ti start it, kicks over then imeditaly quits. Tried it a few more times , now I am begging for help. Could the fuel pump have shut off by itsel

I do not know where the switch is located to check it, I have only put about 20 miles on it ,only on the road for 2 days ,haveny had a chance to get a manual yet. Any help or information will be a great help.

Thank You Jim

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
There is an inertia switch that cuts off the fuel pump...it's located in the passenger side footwell, behind some trim/carpeting. (At least that's where it is on my '97.)

Have you tried giving it a little gas while trying to start it? Sometimes the IAC (idle air control) gets sticky and won't give it enough air to run.

Welcome to FTF!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Pull one of the plug wires and hold it close while cranking to see if you're getting spark. If you've got a fuel pressure gauge you can put the gauge on the fuel rail and see if you've got pressure. One of those two answers should lead you in the right direction.

Welcome to FTF! :wavey:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Recently got 99 ranger, has been sitting awhile before I got it Has been running OK till this morning< I started it and ran OK ,shut it of a few minuets later tried ti start it, kicks over then imeditaly quits. Tried it a few more times , now I am begging for help. Could the fuel pump have shut off by itsel

I do not know where the switch is located to check it, I have only put about 20 miles on it ,only on the road for 2 days ,haveny had a chance to get a manual yet. Any help or information will be a great help.

Thank You Jim

What engine do you have?

Ranger start

Thanks john 112deer and skanddocious
I will try your suggustions. Any way after I made my first post I went out and disconected the foont of the fuel filter . When I turn on the ignition switch gas squirts out one goods shot , then stops I guess this means that the pump in the tank is working? Going back out and try your suggestions.

Thanks again , If any other ideas I will give them a try. Jim

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
...........a few minuets later tried ti start it, kicks over then imeditaly quits..........

More info needed:

*Tranny (A/T or manual)
*my portion of your post above, is that what it does now on each and every attempted start? Or does it do this and then just crank and crank and crank with no momentary start.

***If it repeatedly starts and dies, I'd start it, then let it die, then check fuel pressure with the key still on and never turning it off. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, a cheap tire pressure gauge can often be used. Be aware that there's a chance the gas will ruin it so consider the gauge a perishable item to be used for a quick diagnostic test. I don't know exactly what the FP should be with the key on without pulling up specs, but at any rate it had better be 30+ psi when you do this test. Low to no FP vs 30+ psi will steer you in a direction for the repair.

Thank you cowboy, I finally figured out if you keep cranking the the fuel keeps pumping, put on a new filter, put some drygas in, it started up and seems to be OK now. Like I said before the truck had been through Wilma so possibly had water in the tank.

Thanks again everybody

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts