Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Gauage Problem

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I've had this problem ever since I hooked up the wiring for the sending unit, but just now getting to look at the problem. I only get the needle to barely move when hooked up. The sending unit was supplied by aerotanks and I initially thought they supplied me with a "universal sending unit", but I check the ohms on empty and full and they ranged around 8-10 to around 80, so it should be compatible with the fuel gauge. I grounded the fuel sending wire and I did get the fuel gauge to swing to the full position. I am now considering I just have a bad fuel gauge. I have another gauge out of another cluster so I will probably try that, but wanted to see what might else be the problem. Everything else in the cluster works fine.

Just noticed: I misspelled "Gauge". LOL

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've had this problem ever since I hooked up the wiring for the sending unit, but just now getting to look at the problem. I only get the needle to barely move when hooked up. The sending unit was supplied by aerotanks and I initially thought they supplied me with a "universal sending unit", but I check the ohms on empty and full and they ranged around 8-10 to around 80, so it should be compatible with the fuel gauge. I grounded the fuel sending wire and I did get the fuel gauge to swing to the full position. I am now considering I just have a bad fuel gauge. I have another gauge out of another cluster so I will probably try that, but wanted to see what might else be the problem. Everything else in the cluster works fine.

Just noticed: I misspelled "Gauge". LOL
Try grounding the body of the sending unit.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
They would have never let me lived that down....
Why are you running that truck on 85?

Well, my compression ratio came out to be 10.5:1 which wasn't my original plan. I had my brother help me build the motor because I'm not much of an engine guru. The stroker kit that I got was made for street use, but that's what everything came out to be with a smaller cam. So, since I have Ethanol in my area, I'd thought I'd go that route and see what happens.

Last edited:
Well, my compression ratio came out to be 10.5:1 which wasn't my original plan. I had my brother help me build the motor because I'm not much of an engine guru. The stroker kit that I got was made for street use, but that's what everything came out to be with a smaller cam. So, since I have Ethanol in my area, I'd thought I'd go that route and see what happens.

Gotta say that engine and the truck for that matter, look simply amazing, sharp, and beautiful :)

I do want that motor though - just minus the ethanol hehe

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Must have just been the gauge. I replaced it with another one I had and seems to work fine. Now I just need to redo the needle because the paint is all wore off.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Must have just been the gauge. I replaced it with another one I had and seems to work fine. Now I just need to redo the needle because the paint is all wore off.

Quick!!!!!!!!!!Call Hipo parts...haha. I'm sure you've already got your orange needle paint all stocked up right? Speaking of which...last time I was home, my needles looked a little faded and the left hand light went out in my dash...guess I gotta call HIPO now huh?

Testor's Flourescent Orange Model Paint.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
They sell that kinda paint at most Hobby stores like Hobby Lobby Michael's Pearls. just go to section for Models cars and stuff.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts