Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

forgot this: got a tailgate that fits

Just trying to stir up threads in this area.

My old tailgate did not fit my truck. I finally found one from a 56 that is the correct size. It is not perfect. It has a few dings, but it is straight and solid. Plus it fits!

The inside looks rough, but it is mostly the paint all scratched up. It was used as a truck for 50 years.

Much easier than trying to slice my old one and fit it back together.

Pics:

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

He even gave me the original chains. Now I have two sets. Whichever work the best will get used.

IMG_0985.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The chains were originally encased in rubber to prevent the t/gate from getting scratched. The rubber didn't last long, and scratches are the norm. I still think that half gate you have is off an Econoline pickup...I made mention of it elsewhere, but maybe you missed it. The measurement are almost identical. Post a pic of it, and Jim will go gaga.

Hey, what's with the black border? I was finally getting used to mustardo.

Last edited:
Mama would whoop my butt if I leaned an old tailgate against HER sofa!!!

Ohhhhhhhh "ford" in NIGHTLITES... that'd be cool...

could get those chains chromed and then slip them in a length of 1" clear vinyl tubing...

The chains were originally encased in rubber to prevent the t/gate from getting scratched. The rubber didn't last long, and scratches are the norm. I still think that half gate you have is off an Econoline pickup...I made mention of it elsewhere, but maybe you missed it. The measurement are almost identical. Post a pic of it, and Jim will go gaga.

Hey, what's with the black border? I was finally getting used to mustardo.

It is close, but not exact.
I need to take a pic. My chains have some old rubber on them. It has deteriorated too. They are cheap to buy in any color you want.

On a side note: I just noticed the black too. Ryan is playing again. :rofl:

Mama would whoop my butt if I leaned an old tailgate against HER sofa!!!

Ohhhhhhhh "ford" in NIGHTLITES... that'd be cool...

could get those chains chromed and then slip them in a length of 1" clear vinyl tubing...

That is not my chair (or whatever that is). That is the PO house near K.C. They sell polished stainless chains and clear covers.

so you went ALL the way to KC and leaned it against someone ELSE'S furniture, just to take a PICTURE???

Before you answer that.... Im just kidding!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I was in KC several years ago. Went to see "The Treasure in a Cornfield" exhibit, met the guy and bought his book. I also drove through the downtown area and looked at all the old car dealerships, wondering what was in the attic. We stayed at the Hyatt, and it suddenly dawned on me after looking out the window, that across the street was the old RR station...the site of the infamous Kansas City Massacre.

tom, no one goes to KC just for stuff like that. I'm also in the immediate area.

Ryan
Awwww. come on, ryan.... you're not THAT huge of a deterrent! I'm sure there are many people pass you by and don't even get dry heaves...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts