Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I need your input!!!

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum.

I am in the market for a truck. I am looking at a 2005 F350 Dully (Crew cab, extended bed). The truck has 51,000 miles on it and has had one owner only.

For those of you who have had or own a f-350 like this or similar can you tell me what is the gas mileage in the city and highway on average?

Are there any specific problems I should be aware of and what has been your experience with these trucks?

By the way, I know some of you might be thinking what I am I going to be towing with it and its nothing crazy. I might be towing a 20 foot boat and/or a pair of waverunners. This is not the reason why I want to buy the truck. I just like the way it looks and rides and I have the money to buy it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
First off- welcome to FTF! :wavey:

To your truck questions (and I hope someone else chimes in).

1. Fuel mileage- 13ish city, 15ish hwy, when empty. I'm assuming it's a diesel.

2. Specific problems: either nothing... or everything. I would never consider buying a used 6.0 without an OASIS report to be able to see the warranty history. I repeat- never. These trucks seemed to have come one of two ways- golden, with little or no issues... or they were the truck from hell, and wouldn't stay out of the shop.

I'd like to know a bit more about the truck- how is it equipped, any mods (the closer to stock, the better), how was it used, etc.

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Welcome rickrod99,

Ernie has you pretty well covered with his post.

MPG 12-13 City & 14-15 Hwy empty.

For emphisis i will repeat his most important statement:
"I would never consider buying a used 6.0 without an OASIS report to be able to see the warranty history. I repeat- never."

Also these trucks do not like to sit for extened periods of time, they develop alot of problems if they are not driven regulary. If you are not going to drive this truck weekly then you may want to reconsider purchasing a 6.0 (or the newer 6.4 for that matter). If the truck will not be driven weekly then you would be better off looking for a good used 7.3 if you want a diesel or if you want a newer truck then get the V10 gasser.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
If you can supply a VIN # I could check the OASIS report for you. I myself would have no problem buying a 6.0, but I work on them all day long. :redface:

Welcome rickrod99,

Ernie has you pretty well covered with his post.

MPG 12-13 City & 14-15 Hwy empty.

For emphisis i will repeat his most important statement:
"I would never consider buying a used 6.0 without an OASIS report to be able to see the warranty history. I repeat- never."

Also these trucks do not like to sit for extened periods of time, they develop alot of problems if they are not driven regulary. If you are not going to drive this truck weekly then you may want to reconsider purchasing a 6.0 (or the newer 6.4 for that matter). If the truck will not be driven weekly then you would be better off looking for a good used 7.3 if you want a diesel or if you want a newer truck then get the V10 gasser.

Ernie, thank you for your reply. I am not entirely sure of what a OASIS report is. Is this something equal to carfax? The truck is a 6.0L diesel engine and there are no modifications on it. THe only thing that it has is rims and tires. Nothing else or at least that is what they are telling me. You can view pictures of the truck by going to this link below:

Click here to see the truck.

If you can supply a VIN # I could check the OASIS report for you. I myself would have no problem buying a 6.0, but I work on them all day long. :redface:

I don't know exactly what an OASIS report is but I am sure glad that you guys are providing me all this advice. The vin number is **************** and the link to the truck is Click here to view images of the truck.

(note- VIN edited from this post.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh by the way guys, thanks for having me here. I do appreciate all your input. The truck that I am referring to in previous post is just one truck that I am considering.

I guess you guys will be helping me in the process of purchasing my truck. I really like the 2003-2007 models. I don't like the front grill on the newer models although I hear the 6.4L Diesel engine is much quiter and performs much better.

Either way, someone asked if I would be using this truck on a weekly basis and I am not sure what the answer is. I will probably be using the truck a few times a week but mostly on the weekends. It will probably sit for two or three days out of the week since I like to drive my Mustang.

Rick R.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I would say it should be driven every other day, if not every 3 days....
Sitting is not something they are good at.
I averaged 15mpg loaded on highway...
maybe 18 highway, if i could keep my foot out of it.
Never did much city driving.... Not enough to clock anyways.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Either way, someone asked if I would be using this truck on a weekly basis and I am not sure what the answer is. I will probably be using the truck a few times a week but mostly on the weekends. It will probably sit for two or three days out of the week since I like to drive my Mustang. Rick R.

Rick,

That is fine to use it only on weekends or a few times a week. Letting it sit for two weeks or more at a time is just asking for problems with both the 6.0 & 6.4 diesels. The variable vane turbo's especially do not like to sit for extended periods.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I averaged 15mpg loaded on highway...
maybe 18 highway, if i could keep my foot out of it.
Never did much city driving.... Not enough to clock anyways.

Did you average this kind of mileage with a DRW, F350 6.0?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Rick,

That is fine to use it only on weekends or a few times a week. Letting it sit for two weeks or more at a time is just asking for problems with both the 6.0 & 6.4 diesels. The variable vane turbo's especially do not like to sit for extended periods.
The 6.4 has a feature that cycles the vanes when you turn the key on. This verifies that they arent stuck.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The 6.4 has a feature that cycles the vanes when you turn the key on. This verifies that they arent stuck.

Vince that is a step in the right direction but what happens when the key is not turned for two or more weeks at a time and the vanes stick in position? Cycling the vanes when the ignition is turned on is a nice feature but if the truck is not driven then the vanes are not being exercised.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince that is a step in the right direction but what happens when the key is not turned for two or more weeks at a time and the vanes stick in position? Cycling the vanes when the ignition is turned on is a nice feature but if the truck is not driven then the vanes are not being exercised.
The vanes are operated by an electric actuator (that is quite stout), when you turn the key on, it cycles the vanes. If it notices a problem, it will set a DTC. The inactivity issue with a 6.4 is more the fuel related kind of thing.

Rick,

Fair enough. Yea, I mean I think in general vehicles tend to deteriorate if they sit for long periods of time. I am saying that I will probably drive it every few days just to alternate between vehicles.

So far the OASIS report looks good. I will go and actually test drive the truck tonight. Thanks to all.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts