Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4wd My 2wd Kr Supercrew

I want to take the entire 4wd out of my 97 Expedition and install it in my 03 King Ranch Supercrew 2wd. Other than alot of work will it fit. Any insight appreciated , yea I know it seems like a waste of a good Expedition.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I don't know about compatibility for those model vehicles but the nature of 4wd will require swapping the front axle, front driveshaft, the transfer case, 4wd electronic control module (if it's shift-on-the-fly), the dash switch or floor lever for the tcase. You'll also most likely need to wire your computer to accept inputs for the tcase, as well as the cluster to light up the indicators for the 4wd. There may already be harnesses for these things so rewiring may not be necessary.

Also you'll need to resize your rear driveshaft to account for the added tcase. Are the gear ratios the same between these two vehicles?

Yeah, Chris is right about the gearing.

That KR probably has like 3.10 gears in the back, not great for 4x4.

Why don't you just buy a 4x4 truck?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner, unless there is some great want or need for the conversion. Typically cheaper and definitely easier to just go buy a 4x4. Given, I don't have much experience with the models in question, but I figure that thought will hold true across the board.

Yeah, Chris is right about the gearing.

That KR probably has like 3.10 gears in the back, not great for 4x4.

Well I don't know about compatibility for those model vehicles but the nature of 4wd will require swapping the front axle, front driveshaft, the transfer case, 4wd electronic control module (if it's shift-on-the-fly), the dash switch or floor lever for the tcase. You'll also most likely need to wire your computer to accept inputs for the tcase, as well as the cluster to light up the indicators for the 4wd. There may already be harnesses for these things so rewiring may not be necessary.

Also you'll need to resize your rear driveshaft to account for the added tcase. Are the gear ratios the same between these two vehicles?

my 97 5.4 has 3.73 gears also not sure if the frames are the same 97 to 03 (understanding that the expy's are built off the F150 frame)

my 97 5.4 has 3.73 gears also not sure if the frames are the same 97 to 03 (understanding that the expy's are built off the F150 frame)

Yeah, you have the good differential with the lower gears and the limited slip, but on a 2WD it would come with higher gears for better MPG and wouldnt have limited slip.

Frames should be the same but dont quote me on that one.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Different frame than the F150. Actually, Expy's and pickups share a lot less in components than folks think. This'd be the conversion from hell- much cheaper to just sell the PU and get something comparable in 4X4, IMO. Don't forget a lot of these components are computer-controlled in the pickup- NOTHING is simple on the later model trucks for mods.

Well all of you are right, the swap would be a large hassle. My King Ranch Super Crew does have a 3.73 limited slip diff but all that gets tossed anyway as both front and rear diffs from the Expedition would be swapped as well as the entire front suspension,trans and transfer case and the computer,lengthen the rear driveshaft and I'm sure some of the harness. Both are 5.4, the reason I want to swap is the KR is one impressive truck that I can't bear to part with but need it to be 4wd. The Expedition is a nice suv but does not compare the only value to me was the 4wd and a Eddie Bauer for less than 2 grand in great shape. Of course a couple of rabid friends who can't wait to see the KR as a 4wd really helps. I appreciate anyones real help on this site and hope someone might have ideas. It doesn't matter how hard it is or if it is a foolish waste of time. Time is all I have till I die, might as well spend it doing something I enjoy and brother if you want to do something crazy with a Ford truck I'm all for it.

sas it with 1 tons :) thatd be awesome

Different frame than the F150. Actually, Expy's and pickups share a lot less in components than folks think. This'd be the conversion from hell- much cheaper to just sell the PU and get something comparable in 4X4, IMO. Don't forget a lot of these components are computer-controlled in the pickup- NOTHING is simple on the later model trucks for mods.

Your Expy has torsion bar front suspension, what does your KR have? If it has anything other than torsion bars you are really getting in deeep. As for the electricals the PCMs will probably interchange along with the wiring harness.
Depending on your planned usage of the KR the frame may be ok if all else works out. All of the manufacturers use different steel alloys and thickness in the frame depending on the powertrain and original designed use. you should go to the best frame shop you can find and see if the frames are a close enough match for what you want to do. They would also be your best choice to do any frame modifications that you might need.
Years ago I had a F 100 that I used for hauling machinery, in the bed, I used to overload it severly. One 1 trip I was so overloaded it would just barely do 60 mph on a flat interstate in So. Florida and the brakes were almost useless so I went to a private owned weigh station and found that my gross weight loaded was a bit more than 11,500 lbs. I had about 4 tons in a 1/2 ton pick up. The bed was touching the cab as the frame was flexing so much. After I got it unloaded I went to a friends shop and we cut some 3/16 plate steel and boxed the frame where-ever we could reach with a stick welder. I never had a flexing frame after that, to my knowledge.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Find a frame and swap Body . The 97 and the newer r different . Not a bolt in by any means. You r looking at a long swap . I can do a body swap in a week .

Avoid this swap unless u have good skills at welding ect .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts