Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rpms up and down

i have a 98 f150 with a 5.4 in it and When It Is Idling In Park Or In Drive ,when I Have The Defroster On The Ac Kicks On And Off Making My Rpms Go Up And Then When The Ac Clicks Off It Goes Back Down,i Know That It Is Normal For The Ac To Come On And Off But Not The Rpms To Go Up And Down, I Replaced Iac ,but Still Does It,and It Didnt Do It When I Bought It 5 Months Ago Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
The iac is designed to raise the idle whenever the a/c kicks on to compensate for the added drag the compressor puts on the engine. So, your iac is operating correctly. What is probably wrong is your a/c charge is low or too high (probably low), and the switches are intermittently shutting off your a/c. Get your a/c repaired, and it will settle down.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Why is the AC compressor kicking on with the defroster?
All vehicles are designed to do that. It keeps the freon oil circulating through the system, even in winter, so after a long period of inactivity, the compressor doesn't start up dry.

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
i have a 98 f150 with a 5.4 in it and When It Is Idling In Park Or In Drive ,when I Have The Defroster On The Ac Kicks On And Off Making My Rpms Go Up And Then When The Ac Clicks Off It Goes Back Down,i Know That It Is Normal For The Ac To Come On And Off But Not The Rpms To Go Up And Down, I Replaced Iac ,but Still Does It,and It Didnt Do It When I Bought It 5 Months Ago Thanks

I'm having exactly the same issue with my 03 SD 5.4. Is it possible that the collision shop that did my repairs over charged my AC?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts