Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle Mod

This may turn out to be a stupid question but here it goes...

There is much snow and ice here in NY. My truck has a 3.73 non-limited slip rear axle. It is horrible in the snow and yesterday I had to deal with the embarrassment of being hauled out by my friends '06 F-150 (at least it was a Ford huh?). How good is the limited slip version of my axle and short of finding one off of another truck is there any way to buy the parts from Ford to make my axle limited slip? I guess my real question is if the differential case will allow the installation of the required parts?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The factory limited slip is poor to junk at best IMO. Instead of spending time and money installing a factory limited slip you will be better off going one of two routes.

1) Install a selective locker front and rear (ie. ARB Air Locker), this is the most expensive but best route.

2) Install an after market L/S (ie. Tru Trac) in the rear axle and a selective locker in the front.

If you are going to go to the trouble you need to address both the front and rear axles. You should install a selectable locker in the front axle, and either a selectable locker or L/S in the rear axle. If finances do not allow you to address both axles at the same time then do the rear axle first.

Also make sure you have good snow tires, chains and add some weight to the bed or your truck. Pickups loose traction fairly quickly do to the light load over the rear axle.

Yeah I have already tried to address the weight distribution already. I have like 720 lbs over the rear axle. My thought was to get close to what the engine weight was over the rear. I do think my Continental Contitrac (stock)tires are crap in the snow. Thanks. That is the kind of advice I was looking for.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I do think my Continental Contitrac (stock)tires are crap in the snow.

The factory Conti-Craps are pretty crappy in all conditions, except maybe parked on the show room floor.

I decided to go with the Detroit Truetrac. I was quoted about $900 to install.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts