Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wiring Harnesses!!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I have done tons of wire work on my truck and I don't know about you but I'm sick of messing with the old wiring..
So! were do you turn? Painful wiring? LMC some hack and slash shop that's just going to patch new wire in with all your old stuff..
Well after much searching I found what I believe to be the best After market wiring harness maker out there..
http://www.ronfrances.com/wiringharness.php
If you want to go with after market gauges and don't know how to mount them with out looking like crap!
Check this out the only place I know of that makes custom gauge panels for ford trucks from 40 to 79 :D and they are very reasonable priced
http://www.dolphingauges.com/ford_truck_main.html
Well I thought this could help some body So enjoy! YelloThumbUp

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Tex...you're wrong about one thing...The best aftermarket harness is from Centech for our dentsides (I'm assuming you were referring to dentside wiring). I can't remember off hand what the product number or name of the package is that they offer...'Route' something I think. It's right around $600 for everything. I think Buck got one for his truck...and I wish I woulda got one for my Bronco instead of doing it myself. As far as Dolphin...good call.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Customer service, instructions, quality, almost a direct swap and ease of installation.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I remember these guys now, I called them and talking to them been some years, but they said I was going to have to send in my old wiring harness so they could use the the old connection....
I like the francis ones for a number of reason but, wasn't trying to get in to a debate just that for the money and quality compared to any one else I couldn't find any thing that could beat them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I gotcha Tex...I wasn't trying to debate either...was just listing who I thought the best was. As far as sending in your harness, I remember that, I believe it was because it was a GM system that they adapted to Ford's so they needed the connectors. I believe they have since fixed that problem.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
cool stuff

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I gotcha Tex...I wasn't trying to debate either...was just listing who I thought the best was. As far as sending in your harness, I remember that, I believe it was because it was a GM system that they adapted to Ford's so they needed the connectors. I believe they have since fixed that problem.

God I'm tired today geez I fell asleep at the stop light while going to the post office :(
Also when I do my harness upgrade I don't want to keep my old cluster its old and gauges are iffy I want to go with new after marker gauges like the Dolphins Francis uses heavy wire these fuse blocks have more accessory plugs and can handle higher amps then the Centec, don't get wrong Centech make a fine product but for what I wanted to do and I know allot of people want to go the same way I want to too I don't think you can beat Ron's harness.

Painful wiring sucks big time! they are cheaply made notorious for burning up and are WAY over priced.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Geuss Ill have to see how it works for the jeep.

Just make sure to have good insurance, because I too, have heard of Painless systems shorting out and causing fires. I'm sure that could be said with any and all systems, it's just because Painless is so prevalent that there's more opportunity for something to go wrong.

Haven't got into re-wiring any thing that I need a kit for yet except the head light harness from RJM (100% satisfied) but do have an opinion on the dolphin gauge kit. I just don't care for it, layout looks like a Chitlet dash. I would love to upgrade mine and add an indash Tach but haven't found any that will improve or equal the looks of the factory.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Tank...since you like the factory look, but want more gauges, you should try Dakota Digital...the dash looks exactly the same but with digital gauges. It has something like 6 gauges...speed, tach, water temp, oil psi, fuel, and....ranger429 has one in his Bronco...maybe he's got some pics of it in his gallery.

On edit: found it-

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=67/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd604.htm

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Only 600 bucks huh?

Yeah, but go to Autometer and try to get those same 6 guages in the digital setup...I bet it'll run you more than that.

Figure a tach will run you no less than 120, fuel 100, oil psi 100, speedo 150, water temp 100, volt?...now those are very rough guesstimates, but I don't think they're too far off for a trick/one off/different dash.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts