Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Attention All 6.4 Owners

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
Attention All 6.4 Owners!!!

Ford released this questionaire about aftermakrket and stock filters. this is information is rather important if you ask me.​

6.0L & 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Super Duty and Excursion Air Filtration
Q&A
Q: Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?

A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger. Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%. What does this mean to an owner? Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass
50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters! Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant. This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Q: Won't aftermarket airbox modifications, which use a lower priced filter, save me money?
A: Don't be fooled by aftermarket tactics of comparing the cost of one filter because you also need to know how often you'll need to change filters. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters

hold more than three pounds of dust, dirt and soot. The aftermarket kits tested by Donaldson Company, Inc. held about half this amount. And don't forget, if these aftermarket replacement filters are less than 99.99% efficient, they pass some contaminant through to the engine that the OE filter would have stopped!

Q: How frequently do the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters need to be changed?
A: Everybody's driving habits and environments are different. Owners/Dealers should check the air filter restriction gauge (located on the upper housing of the air cleaner assembly) at each oil change interval to determine when the filter needs to be changed. Some vehicles also have a dash light that will illuminate when the filter needs to be changed. No replacement is necessary until the filter minder (or dash light) gives indication.
Q: My filter minder doesn't seem to move, so shouldn't I check or change the filter to be safe?
A: The filter minder is a gauge that starts registering only after the filter reaches a certain point of being filled. This is why owners do not see it consistently move (like a gas gauge). Rest assured, the filter minder works and there is no reason to check on the filter by removing the airbox cover, thereby increasing the risk of contaminants entering the air intake system. Remember, the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters hold more than three pounds of contaminant – so it will take some time to fill!
Q: I want maximum airflow through the system to provide more power. Don't some aftermarket filters provide more airflow than the 6.0L or 6.4L OE air filters?
A: Airflow should not be the determining factor in buying a filter. Think about it: would you ever operate without a filter in place even though you'd get maximum air flow? High airflow generally means the filter is less efficient at stopping contaminants, too. Owners should instead look for the combination of three factors: airflow, how small of contaminant the filter will stop, and how much contaminant the filter will hold. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems provide a great combination and it comes standard on all Super Duty and Excursion trucks!
Q: If the 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems are so effective and efficient, why would anybody pay to modify them?
A: Excellent question. It makes no sense to pay hard earned money to go backwards in technology – especially considering that such modifications may even put future warranty repairs in jeopardy. You invested in your 6.0L or 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel truck to provide years of dependable service. Ford engineered it with a great filtration. So just why would anyone pay to modify it?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Have you had any trouble with the 6.4, or with mods on them yet, up there in canada?

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Hopefully, this might minimize some of the K&N BS!!!!!!!! Great thread!!!

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Have you had any trouble with the 6.4, or with mods on them yet, up there in canada?
A few minor issues, nothing major. As for mods, they're not as popular up here, and our customers are educated at the point of purchase regarding modificatons... remember, magnussen vs. moss crap does not apply in this country, so the final say regarding warranty issues is pretty much made at the dealer level. Have you seen the message regarding DPF warranty if exhaust or intake mods have been made?

blacksnapon

Staff member
A few minor issues, nothing major. As for mods, they're not as popular up here, and our customers are educated at the point of purchase regarding modificatons... remember, magnussen vs. moss crap does not apply in this country, so the final say regarding warranty issues is pretty much made at the dealer level. Have you seen the message regarding DPF warranty if exhaust or intake mods have been made?
I've educated our sales people on the warranty issues.They called on me to "teach" them on replying to potential buyers questions. I'll quiz them on bizarre questions, as well as normal ones.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Its not as confrontational here regarding mods (except for that 6lpwr guy!)
Confrontational?? Whose confrontational. You want confrontational mister!! Alrighty then, I can give you confrontational!! ROFL

BTW- I'm impressed a Ford Tech would know such a big word. Hahaha Well, there goes my getting that injector flash done on the side.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
I think I should rephrase myself before I come across as more of an a-hole that I really am... I don't have issues with performance modifications when ALL is done correctly... what I do have issues with is "jun"K&N filters, and slapping in a tuner and pushing 35+ psi boost through stock head bolts and gaskets.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Alex,

I don't think anyone got the impression you were and "a-hole". Around here, (unlike other forums) you are allowed to have your own opinions and beliefs and are not prodded into following the company line so to speak. However, it is expected that you bash 6L PWR and the moderators on a regular basis.:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

I don't have issues with performance modifications when ALL is done correctly... what I do have issues with is "jun"K&N filters, and slapping in a tuner and pushing 35+ psi boost through stock head bolts and gaskets.

I think you will find we are all in agreement with this statement and especially in how it applies to the 6.0 & 6.4.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts