Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swap an FT into where an FE was?

Sitting here on my lazy butt instead of driving to Willcox and checking it
out for myself... :/

What's the chances of my '74 361FT having engine mount holes on the
sides of the block to fit into a set of FE "engine mount stands" already in
a light duty pickup? :) What about raised bosses on the sides of the FT
block? Has the block got something like that can be drilled and tapped?

The pickup is a '75 F100 with a T18 that had a 390FE removed.
The engine donor is a C700 with a Clark 282 5 speed.

Since I don't have the FE's clutch and pressure plate either, am I messed
up there anyway? Oh heck, just thought, the spline count and diameter
is prob'ly different in the clutch disk too. :)

FE and FT have (need?) different bell housings?

Alvin in AZ
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/C700-1.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/C700-2.jpg
ps- I only own the front half of the truck, no kidding on that. LOL :)
pps- ~66k miles
ppps- maybe I should just put the 361FT+Clark into my '91 F150? LOL :)

Last edited:
I believe the 361 FT engine is nearly identical to the 390 FE. To my knowledge the main difference is the 361 has a shorter stoke but, it should be a forged steel crank, the 360 has a cast crank with a small snout. If it is an FT with the steel crank the front snout that the dampner mounts on will be about 25 percent larger in diameter. I'm not sure of the mount holes in the sides of block.
I really don't think it's a good engine for anything other than a low speed heavy hauler. The longer stroke of the 390 will provide more torque under nearly all conditions. If you want more grunt you can change the cam to an RV/Trailer tow type grind for a lot less work, money and time.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
the 361 is nearly identical to the 360fe. It was the industrial version, and as moto mel said, has the steel crank, and other heavy truck type components.

It probably has terrible compression, something to the tune of 7 - 7.5:1.

If it was a 391, it would be easy to put pistons in it, and liven it up. but a 361 will be hard to find aftermarket parts for.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
the 361 is nearly identical to the 360fe. It was the industrial version, and as moto mel said, has the steel crank, and other heavy truck type components.

If it was a 391, it would be easy to put pistons in it, and liven it up. but a 361 will be hard to find aftermarket parts for.
The 361 FT shares next to no parts with any FE engine, with the exception of pushrods, connecting rods, rod & main bearings, lifters, valve cover gaskets and misc valve train parts.

The 361 heads, block, crank, harmonic balancer, flywheel, pistons/rings, oil pump and etc. are not the same as any FE engine.

The 361 uses the exact same bare block (C4TZ-6010-M) the 391 FT uses, but uses different pistons than a 391 does.

The only FT engine that is closely associated with the FE 352/360 is the 330 M/D FT engine produced 1964/72.

The 330 H/D FT engine is related to the 361 engine (uses the same crank), shares next to no parts with the 330 M/D engine, which depending on the year, uses either a 352 or 360 crank.

The FT engines were only installed in 1964/78 F500 and larger trucks with one exception.

The 1973/78 F350's that Ford built especially for U-Haul use the 330 M/D engine.

This is not the same 330 M/D engine used 1964/72. It's the former 330 H/D engine!

Ford dropped the 330 M/D engine after the 1972 model run, then renamed the former 330 H/D a M/D.

It was also called an X/D (Xtra Duty) engine.

Last edited:

One good thing about using that FT engine is you could turbocharge or supercharge it without worrying about the compression ratio until you made about 20+ pounds of boost. I believe the clutch and flywheel would have to be the truck unit for that transmission. 1 3/8" X 10 splines most likely, sounds like a lot of work for too little return.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts