Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

heavy duty 429 worth crap?

My friend has the opportunity to buy a truck with a 429 super cheap. I think its a late 70s f-800, not sure about either one, but its a big flat bed. It has a 429 big block in it with a 4 barrel. Is this motor worth building? or is a 429 from this application different than other 429s? if so, what are the differences?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm not really sure on the year, but I know that Ford put industiral 429/460's in the medium duty trucks. I can't remember all the differences but I do remember it was a bear of a time trying to get parts for the industiral 429/460's. Like I said I can't remember what year Ford stopped doing this, because I know my father had a couple 80's F800's and they had a typical fuel injected 460.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm not really sure on the year, but I know that Ford put industiral 429/460's in the medium duty trucks. I can't remember all the differences but I do remember it was a bear of a time trying to get parts for the industiral 429/460's. Like I said I can't remember what year Ford stopped doing this, because I know my father had a couple 80's F800's and they had a typical fuel injected 460.
Not a typical FI 460, because Ford never offered this engine in Medium Duty trucks.

370 & 429 only: 1979/91.

FT engines: 1964/78.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha Bill, I just knew my dad had a 429/460 in his flatbeds and assumed it was a 460...so then yeah it was a 429.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
ok I called him, it is a 79 and it is an f-800 he's going to get the casting numbers off the block, I figure that will help.
How will that help?

Block casting numbers cannot be decoded or cross referenced to actual Ford part numbers.

The 4th digit of the VIN is the engine code:

1979 F800: A = 370 2V / C = 429 4V.

oh, I just figured they would, he's being a sissy and doesn't want to shovel it out anyway. there is no question that its a 429, his boss said he can have it for free if he pulls it out, I was just wondering if this engine would be worth rebuilding for a light truck application or if he should just get a car/truck motor else where and start with that... sounds like even for free it may not be worth the trouble.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was just wondering if this engine would be worth rebuilding for a light truck application or if he should just get a car/truck motor else where and start with that... sounds like even for free it may not be worth the trouble.

Yeah man, if I were him, I'd find something else.

1977 EXPLORER

Tennesee Chapter Member
They use a large crank snout (can be machined down) and timing cover is alot differant but will swap for a normal piece.The crank is also Steel and is good if you are going to use a large roots blower after the crank snout is machined down to the normal diamter.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts