Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

vss question

Hey yall im about to start an sas on my 97 F150, i was planning on using a 14 bolt because theyre a little easier to set up as opposed to a sterling, will i have a problem because the 14 bolt is not set up for the vss? I thought that i ahd heard somewhere that the vss tone ring bs didnt do much on the 97, ive also got a sterling 10.25 rear here too that i can use if need be just need to know, thanks for any info yall have

FTF'er

Do you also have a VSS in your transfer case? If so, I believe the VSS in the t-case talks to the computer and the VSS in the rear axle is only for ABS.

to be honest i have no idea, i think just to be safe ill run the sterling and sell the 14 bolt

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If your truck is anything like those from my generation truck-- that VSS on the rear axle is incredibly important. That is the main sensor used by the computer for getting speed measurements--- you cannot delete it without replacing it somewhere else. Talk to Tony-- he did a mod and put a VSS from another vehicle into his tcase when he did the 9" swap.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Is there a spot in your tranny or transfer case where a speedo cable could go? If so, you can mount a vss there. Thats what I did.

i honestly have no idea, im thinkin ill just run the sterling, i know its pretty much comparable in strength to the 14 bolt

FTF'er
Just look at the end of your t-case on the driver side for a VSS. If it's there, then unplug the one on the rear axle and see what happens when you drive. I'm betting an ABS light would be the worst thing that will happen.

My '97 Explorer 5.0 AWD has the VSS for the engine computer in the t-case and the ABS in the rear. I've read that I need a '97 F150 t-case for my part-time conversion since this is the only year for a VSS in the t-case.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts