Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Location of horn relay?

FTF'er

I could find nothing here about the location of a horn relay, but I think I found the answer elsewhere.

Anyway, it looks like the '73 to '76 trucks had a relay mounted on the inside of the fender, located between the starter relay and the firewall.

'78 and '79 trucks with cruise have a horn relay mounted on a brace behind the instrument cluster.

'78 and '79 trucks withOUT cruise have no horn relay at all.

Ok, now can someone confirm that this information is correct?

Thanks.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
On my 73 it is on passenger side fender near starter relay

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
According to the OEM manual "the horn relay used only on vehicles equipped with speed control is located under the instrument to the left of the steering column and is mounted on the outboard attaching screw of the speed control amplifier module"...that came out of a 1979 manual.

I here by confirm the info in post #1

FTF'er
Thanks for the confirmation, Dennis. I actually found most of that info from posts made by you elsewhere on the interweb. It's in our system now for when somebody searches for it.

FTF'er
The motion has been passed unanimously.

:rofl:

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
that means its time to party now....Right??
:ola:
:bananarb: :bananarb: :bananarb:
bigdance

I assume this also applies to the 79 e series? nd if so, hpw is the horn wired? I picked up a horn button with cruise but my van doesn't have cruise, I just need a horn switch. But the horn works only when I use a wire to it, and the ground wire from the switch gets hot when I press it but no sound

EDIT: I found out by toying around, that I needed to connect the wire that would goto ground when equipped with cruise, to the blue wire that goes to the other terminal (normally used for cruise)...

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I assume this also applies to the 79 e series? nd if so, hpw is the horn wired? I picked up a horn button with cruise [confused] but my van doesn't have cruise.
The same thing applies to 1978 and later Econolines, but...

You cannot use a horn pad with Speed Control for non Speed Control, because the horn will not blow.

The following is the correct horn pad:

E7UZ-13A805-A (replaced D9TZ-13A805-A) .. Horn Pad w/Switch / Use without Speed Control.

Applications: 1978/86 F100/350, Bronco & Econoline / 1987/91 Econoline Cut-Away.

Last edited:
78 -79 speed control wiring

cruise_harness_main.JPG

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts