Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1970 F250

Hello Everyone. I just registered and have a couple of questions. I have a 1970 F250 with a 360ci manual with granny. I got this truck for free when I traded someone an A/C unit for a hot tub. They brought it over on the truck and said keep the truck because they were getting a divorce and moving. He apparently got it from his ex wife's uncle. It has a rebuilt 360ci and all I have had to do is replace some gaskets, throw in a new battery and replace the brake master cyl. and the brakes. It runs like a top but the Granny gear is killing me and there is some metal on metal sound in first gear and second but the rest are fine. The body is in decent shape but my 3 questions are, 1) do I keep it or just pull out the engine and will the engine fit in anything else ie my wife wants a bronco. 2) What can be done about the transmission do I take it in and spend $ on it or is there something that I can do? I did replace the gear lube and it still does it. 3) Can you add power steering or steering assist, call me a wuss but this think is a workout to drive in the city. And how do you suggest I look in to adding it if I can. Thanks for reading.

Cool truck. Usually most people I know with granny 4speeds drive them like a 2/3/4, 3 speed. Yes the engine will go into something else, but you would be better off fixing up the F250, selling it, and buying a nicer (and newer) bronco. You can have the transmission rebuilt pretty cheaply and gone over, but it really isn't necessary if you shift it 2/3/4.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Cool truck. Usually most people I know with granny 4speeds drive them like a 2/3/4, 3 speed. Yes the engine will go into something else, but you would be better off fixing up the F250, selling it, and buying a nicer (and newer) bronco. You can have the transmission rebuilt pretty cheaply and gone over, but it really isn't necessary if you shift it 2/3/4.

I believe he said it does it in First and Second gear....

Oh, and welcome to FTF! :D

"First Gear" is the "Granny" gear

Perhaps he means a low ratio 1st gear ?

Granny is a term for the little old granny that drives slow.....like she is in first gear.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I know on a lot of Granny gears they're also unsycronized. My 57s old tranny was a tad bit of a you know what if you were in a hurry, but i barely used 1st unless i wanted to roast the tires, easy with 4.56 rear gears.

Granny

Thanks for the replies, I do still have the metal on metal sound in second and it is very difficult to not make the truck hop if I start in second.

Hippity-hop

Get under the truck and see if you can push the carrier bearing up and down. Thats the joint area where the front half of the driveshaft meets the rear half. play in the rubber around this bearing will cause your hopping. Those old "granny" boxes usually lose the grind noise with a trip to the tranny shop and a few bearings replaced. I got one just like it. see the gallery.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
id keep the truck and tell the wife to get her own bronco!! but thats just me. put a qaurt or 2 of lucas oil in the trans. theres no syncro for 1st gear.so it will grind no matter what. you can add power steering off any 79 or older truck

New problem

Ok I took the truck to the dump today and encountered a couple of more problems. The metal on metal did alright but the truck boggs down under load. I replaced the plugs,wires, distributor cap, button, and because it had been sitting for a while I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump. It still purrs like a kitten but when your in gear it boggs down and almost stalls making it very scary to pull into traffic. Any ideas, I'm thinking maybe timing or something involving the vacuum line from the distributor to the carb. Please help?

...it is very difficult to not make the truck hop if I start in second.

Hmmm... "hop", huh?
What about "shudder/jumpy" does that fit?
...or a single "hop" better description as opposed to multiple hops?

-----------------------------

My pickup's never had a good clutch in it. :(

When it had 000,014.2 miles on it I fiNgured it "just needed to get broke in".
I believe the bell housing wasn't ever lined up right, the original pins etc are
all in place etc but the engine and transmission weren't lined up right from
the factory.

Last time I installed a 6303 sealed ball bearing and so far the clutch has 18k
on it and is better than the bronze oil-lite bearing would have been at 2k.
No kidding.

At 18,000 miles with the bronze bearing the sucker would be next to impossible
to start from a stop without a $%^load of shuddering/humping/jumping crap.
Sound like yours? Either way, we're learning right? ;)

I can tell it's not all the way right and "rattles" a little bit but plan to fix it
(was told how) when I pull the transmission again. I've gotten pretty good
at pulling the transmission I can do it myself, no sweat. :)

I bought a special "MAC impact knuckle socket" in 5/8" for a couple of the
upper bell housing bolts just for the fun of it. "Kent's Tools" $8.50 used.

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/guidepins.jpg

Made those from a couple grade-5 bolts in early '78 with the first new clutch.
Sent the wife to the hardware store after 'em. ;)
7/16-14 ~5" long, don't get 'em too long.
With the transmission resting on those and its own rear-support the sucker
will slide in and out like it was on rails. ;)

I leave the gearshift lever attached until the last minute and use it as a
"handle" too.

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:
"First Gear" is the "Granny" gear
Perhaps he means a low ratio 1st gear ? {yeah, betcha;}
Granny is a term for the little old granny that drives slow...
...like she is in first gear.

Hmmm... naaaa... picture granny walking next to ya and going faster than
you are, when you're creepin' along in "grandma" or you're in "granny gear". :)

Chevy guys tend to call first gear "Lo" and second gear "1st".
Seen it written that way on factory Chevy gearshift knobs, so I figure that's
where they get it from.

My T18 came with "1 2 3 4 R" on the gearshift knob.

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/gearshift1.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/gearshift.jpg
Made that extension when I was working in the System Signal Shop in late '79. :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:
Hey Judd

Sound like it just my be one of those junkers that "aint quite right". I'll take 'er of your hands for twice what you paid since i'm such a nice guy. Lets see...2xfree=?? seriously, Around Tucson way, Any old rolling heaver 3/4 ton truck goes for $1500.00. If your motors solid, you should be able to cure the rest without geting tooo much cash in the old girl.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm sure you can add power steering I think I have seen kits to do it.
i'll dig through some stuff and see what I can dig find for you :D
Oh and welcome to the site.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts