Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.4 egr replacement

blacksnapon

Staff member
Top-1_edited.jpg

This may be off the wall but I am trying to piece together a puzzle.

My truck has recently had a big drop in mpg. Im not jumping on the band wagon and complaining that I dont get 30 mpg with a 9,000 pound truck. Im saying that my mpg has dropped noticeably from what it was. On a 100 mile trip with no trailer, nothing in bed, etc I only got 12 mpg. With a trailer, towing flat ground at 60 mph I only got 8 mpg. It used to be better.

The other piece of the puzzle is that I have been hearing about more and more EGR failures and as shown here, Ford redesigned the EGR.

So my question is .... is it possible that the EGR can affect fuel mileage? If the EGR is sticking open or shut will that have an affect on the mileage? I know the EGR is an emissions component but quite honestly I dont know how it functions in relation to the engine.

Thanks for any info.

blacksnapon

Staff member
This may be off the wall but I am trying to piece together a puzzle.

My truck has recently had a big drop in mpg. Im not jumping on the band wagon and complaining that I dont get 30 mpg with a 9,000 pound truck. Im saying that my mpg has dropped noticeably from what it was. On a 100 mile trip with no trailer, nothing in bed, etc I only got 12 mpg. With a trailer, towing flat ground at 60 mph I only got 8 mpg. It used to be better.

The other piece of the puzzle is that I have been hearing about more and more EGR failures and as shown here, Ford redesigned the EGR.

So my question is .... is it possible that the EGR can affect fuel mileage? If the EGR is sticking open or shut will that have an affect on the mileage? I know the EGR is an emissions component but quite honestly I dont know how it functions in relation to the engine.

Thanks for any info.
EGR could conceivably affect mileage, but its unlikely. It will be a process of checking fuel system for internal leaks, checking for unusual regeneration events, and looking for erroneous sensor information. Didnt you have a DPF change? It could be tied in there. The same thing that filled the dpf to capacity could be eating up the fuel mileage.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts