Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thunderbird K&N Airfilter Installed

I just installed a new K&N airfilter I bought from AutoAnything and took some pictures!

Stock Airbox
StockAirbox.jpg

Removed Mass Air and top half of the stock airbox.
BottomHalfofAirbox.jpg

Removed bottom half of stock airbox
NoAirbox.jpg

Put Mass Air back on and installed a temperature sensor bracket.
NoAirboxMassAirInstalled.jpg

Attached K&N Airfilter to Mass Air sensor.
KNAirfilterInstalled.jpg

Side-shot of new Airfilter
Side-shotofAirfilter.jpg

Tools
Tools.jpg

More Tools
MoreTools.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yeah, that actually wasn't the final installation, I forgot to put a hose-clamp on the back part of the filter :hammer: so I cleaned it all up when I took it off again to put the clamp on. ;)

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Thanks!

Yeah, that actually wasn't the final installation, I forgot to put a hose-clamp on the back part of the filter :hammer: so I cleaned it all up when I took it off again to put the clamp on. ;)

Glad to hear that. I wasn't trying to be judgemental. It's just one of those things that I would of just had to do. YelloThumbUp

Andy, that isn a great photo essay. thanks for putting them up for us!

Any thoughts about adding a splash shield to that so it doesn't get soaked in rainstorms? Maybe a curved piece of lexan?

Thank you, I plan on taking pics of every project I do from now on :)

I actually left the stock "splash shield" in the car, a lot of individuals take that little black tube out when installing the K&N (3rd pic from top) but I decided it would be best not to risk getting water in the throttle body. I'm open for suggestions if you can draw me out a little picture using MS Paint or something :)

OK, this is rough and crude, sorry... using dang touchpad to try and draw is like getting ryan to leave something the original color. The colors I used are only to make it plain and visible. the finished work would simply be clear and unobtrusive.

Here is the pic, description follows:

KNShield.jpg

Very simply stated, you measure out a piece of flexible plastic (thin lexan works wonders; flexible and bulletproof. Attatch it at the inner fender at the top alongside the fastener flange. The piece then bends over your filter, but plenty of space to allow air flow all around. the bottom would screw into your frameside there, or if it's impossible to drill there, use several heavy duty zip ties. this would keep water from splashing on it and still allow you to see your masterpiece!

I'll see what I can do, it's pretty water-tight around the filter itself believe it or not (I drove 30 miles in the rain and then opened the hood 2 days after installation) :) Thanks for the suggestion!

I have a "MAC" intake on my explorer. It is a chrome tube over to the air flow thing (can't think go the name), then a chrome splash guard, and the MAC oval filter. It is just like a K&N, but shaped differently.

As far as HP...Nah thats all hype..

It sounds awesome and I never have to buy another.

I have a "MAC" intake on my explorer. It is a chrome tube over to the air flow thing (can't think go the name), then a chrome splash guard, and the MAC oval filter. It is just like a K&N, but shaped differently.

As far as HP...Nah thats all hype..

It sounds awesome and I never have to buy another.

~ I've actually noticed a little boost in power (but I think it might be complimenting the exhaust installed) at RPMS above about 1800, but hardly a difference while driving normally around town.
~ Fuel mileage is EXACTLY the same as before :rofl:
~ Definitely a little more rumble-resonance with the YelloThumbUp

Thanks again for the posts :)

~ Fuel mileage is EXACTLY the same as before :rofl:
How can you tell the difference, if you keep putting your foot in it to hear the assorted SOUNDS??? :rofl:

I don't go so much by sound, but by how much it pulls me into the seat!!!

I used to run straight pipes on my big truck, and after 6 days of running hard, I could't hardly hear a thing when I got home. Now, I just whistle down the road and thru small towns at night without a care in the world!

Last edited:
How can you tell the difference, if you keep putting your foot in it to hear the assorted SOUNDS??? :rofl:

The first tank of gas I recorded fuel-mileage was about 3mpg lower than before the filter, and you're absolutely right about hearing the "assorted sounds :rofl: " Everytime I got onto the highway... ***

Before airfilter - 22.893mpg (average of 5 tanks of gas)

After airfilter
1st tank of gas - 19.739 mpg ***
2nd tank of gas - 22.937 mpg
3rd tank of gas - 24.019 mpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts