Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust question.....

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
How effective would a h or x pipe be on the exhaust system of a 99 F-150 with a 4.6L V-8. I'm going to do duals since the mufflers pretty well shot on the truck. Just wanna make sure i do it right, although i love the sound of true duals, i don't want to do something that will lessen mileage and performance.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The point of the H or X pipe is to equalize the pressure between the driver-side and passenger-side exhaust manifolds. If you're running "true duals", meaning that you've got 1 pipe from each manifold that goes all the way to the back of the truck, then it's NECESSARY to have a crossover pipe to equalize the pressure.

I've always heard that true duals costs a lot more and is a lot more work and doesn't really make that much of a difference compared to fake duals (exhaust manifolds converge into a single pipe and then split again before it gets to the back of the truck).

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Why is it NECESSARY and not just preferred to have a crossover to equalize the pressure?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've always been told that in order to have the correct backpressure at each manifold, you need to have a crossover pipe.

Again-- this is what I've been TOLD. I don't know if it's a fact. It was discussed several times in our section on the other site.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
The point of the H or X pipe is to equalize the pressure between the driver-side and passenger-side exhaust manifolds. If you're running "true duals", meaning that you've got 1 pipe from each manifold that goes all the way to the back of the truck, then it's NECESSARY to have a crossover pipe to equalize the pressure.

I've always heard that true duals costs a lot more and is a lot more work and doesn't really make that much of a difference compared to fake duals (exhaust manifolds converge into a single pipe and then split again before it gets to the back of the truck).

Only reason i'm considering true duals is i like doing things somewhat different. My cost would be less than the exhaust shop quoted me for a similar set up that my friend has on his 03 F-150. I'm not a fan of how his fake duals sound for the amount that he spent, as well i want to replace the y pipe, and do more of the dual exhaust with the h or x pipe. Kinda sad that i can do duals cheaper but i have access to a shop as well. Just wanted to make sure i do it right when i do it. Thanks for the information!

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I've always been told that in order to have the correct backpressure at each manifold, you need to have a crossover pipe.

Again-- this is what I've been TOLD. I don't know if it's a fact. It was discussed several times in our section on the other site.

I was just curious, I know that it's better.. but I hardly think it's necessary. Seeing as how I have true duals and no crossover and I haven't had any issues.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah you're probably right Ryan. I can't imagine how incorrect backpressure would really cause PROBLEMS with the engine, but it may be holding back some of the potential power that the engine could be putting out ;)

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
You have a point about the potential power that could be made with having correct backpressure. I'm guessing it's gonna be true duals with a x pipe for me :p

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Hence why I said it's better =P. I didn't build the exhaust that's currently on the truck, otherwise it would have a crossover.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
On a stock truck man I say go with just the duals, H and X pipes are only really used on higher performance applications in my knowledge.
Also I've been told that going with shorter pipes are better then longer pipes, some thing to do with less back pressure on shorter pipes.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I'll modify it more then likely in the future, plus putting in a x pipe while i'm doing the exhaust saves from having to do it in the future, plus there's a nice one that i can get relatively cheap. Thinking of doing like the lightnings did with their exhaust.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The only problem with true duals (and especially with crossover pipes), it's pretty damned hard to route the pipes around the transmission and all the way to the back of the truck. Remember you'll have to mount twice as many exhaust hangers ;)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
How effective would a h or x pipe be on the exhaust system of a 99 F-150 with a 4.6L V-8. I'm going to do duals since the mufflers pretty well shot on the truck. Just wanna make sure i do it right, although i love the sound of true duals, i don't want to do something that will lessen mileage and performance.

Our trucks HAVE to have an X or H to run properly! Trust me on this one. You will also want Hight flow cats, and a good muffler. Even at that your high flow cats are gonna throw codes.... Here is a pic of what I did different!

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Awesome, thanks for the info man. Any underneath shots of your set up? Didn't see any on the pictures that you have on myspace, although quite a great progression!

Last edited:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'll see if I can click some under carraige shots today...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Pretty easy actually. good cut off blade and some tape. the thing that helped me was the 3" body lift, gave me the room between the bed and the frame i needed so I didn't have to go under the frame.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts