Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So I've got a free 72...I'm new...what to do...

Hello Everyone! First post, just signed up on the forum. My experience on my Toyota MR2 forums has been awesome, and it looks like this is all set up really nicely and I look forward to picking your brains.

My wifes parents have a 1972 Ford Ranger XLT 250 2WD sitting in a field. They said we could have it and my wife wants to make it her project truck. The thing ran a year ago and would probably start up with some fresh gas and a charged battery. It was parked because of crappy mileage. The body is in good shape except the bed of the truck and torn interior.

We are 23 yrs old, and I've been learning/working on cars for 5 years now, just completed an engine swap in my 1986 Toyota MR2. So I am capable of fixing up a vehicle. I've been teaching the wife about engines and cars too. But I've never worked on an old American V-8, tuned a carburetor, changed pads on drum brakes, etc. So I want to learn a lot before I get started. Ok...All of that said, here's what my wife wants. It's up to you guys (and gals) to get us pointed in the right direction so that we make the best option choices without making mistakes and spending too much money.

The engine: It's a V-8. I'm sure it has pushrods. I see power steering pump, AC, water pump, a carburetor, etc. Does the "250" designation indicate 250 cu. inches? What is the HP? Worth rebuilding? She says she will want to swap engines and put something more powerful in there. What are our options? Buy a crate engine? I cant weld, so please specify is that is required to install a particular engine because it means getting help

Tranny: It's an automatic. :( She says she wants a manual...but if it's too complicated it might not be worth it.

Suspension: She wants it lifted 4"... I'm sure most of the suspension needs an overhaul.

She wants it painted gun metal gray with pink flames and maybe a pink snow plow. lol. the snow gets 6 ft deep here...but I dont know about 2WD and a snow plow.

It has drums on 4 corners....worth changing to 4 disks/2 disks front?

What is a realistic budget? I dont like cutting corners and do everything right when I can. I would expect at least $10k.

Hello Everyone! First post, just signed up on the forum. My experience on my Toyota MR2 forums has been awesome, and it looks like this is all set up really nicely and I look forward to picking your brains.

My wifes parents have a 1972 Ford Ranger XLT 250 2WD sitting in a field. They said we could have it and my wife wants to make it her project truck. The thing ran a year ago and would probably start up with some fresh gas and a charged battery. It was parked because of crappy mileage. The body is in good shape except the bed of the truck and torn interior.

We are 23 yrs old, and I've been learning/working on cars for 5 years now, just completed an engine swap in my 1986 Toyota MR2. So I am capable of fixing up a vehicle. I've been teaching the wife about engines and cars too. But I've never worked on an old American V-8, tuned a carburetor, changed pads on drum brakes, etc. So I want to learn a lot before I get started. Ok...All of that said, here's what my wife wants. It's up to you guys (and gals) to get us pointed in the right direction so that we make the best option choices without making mistakes and spending too much money.

The engine: It's a V-8. I'm sure it has pushrods. I see power steering pump, AC, water pump, a carburetor, etc. Does the "250" designation indicate 250 cu. inches? What is the HP? Worth rebuilding? She says she will want to swap engines and put something more powerful in there. What are our options? Buy a crate engine? I cant weld, so please specify is that is required to install a particular engine because it means getting help

Tranny: It's an automatic. :( She says she wants a manual...but if it's too complicated it might not be worth it.

Suspension: She wants it lifted 4"... I'm sure most of the suspension needs an overhaul.

She wants it painted gun metal gray with pink flames and maybe a pink snow plow. lol. the snow gets 6 ft deep here...but I dont know about 2WD and a snow plow.

It has drums on 4 corners....worth changing to 4 disks/2 disks front?

What is a realistic budget? I dont like cutting corners and do everything right when I can. I would expect at least $10k.

The truck would be an F250, which means its a 3/4 ton, or the heavier duty model (better suspension for payload/towing/etc.). If its a V8, its either a 302ci, or more likely a 390 cubic inch FE engine. The 390 is a great engine and is capable of around 500hp if rebuilt right (ported, balanced, upgraded internals, 3x2bbl, or 2x4bbl carburetors, etc.). You are correct about the pushrods, all Ford engines were pushrod until they were finally phased out, the last of which in 2001. If its an Automatic transmission, that would mean it has the Ford C6 transmission which is a rock solid beast of a transmission, the prevailing design of which would evolve to form the basis of even Fords modern electronic six-speed transmissions. Getting a lift is kind of useless on a 2WD truck, though it would make a cool street truck, and a snow plow is out of the question. But then again, why would you build a great looking resto-mod truck just to plow snow with? ;)

Oh, and drum brakes are easy... :p

And if you have $10 to budget? You will have yourself a basically new truck. Im looking forward to seeing this project.

EDIT: Stock 2bbl 390s made around 300hp, stock 4bbl 390s made around 340hp, stock 6bbl 390s made around 365hp. If one that was rebuild had 3x 2bbl carburetors, or 2x 4bbl carburetors? Hang on for the ride. :rofl:

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Looks like Conner has you pointed in the right direction. I don't know much about 390's, but it is a popular motor for hot-rodding and rebuilding. If it's a 302 you will have absolutely NO shortage of parts.

I agree - don't lift it if it's 2wd. At the most, do a leveling kit to raise the front end up to match the springs in the back. Forget about the snow plow.

You have yourself a GOOD lookin truck and I hope to see some progress!

Don't be scared of that C6 transmission. The only downside is no overdrive, so if you can find an AOD transmission out of a newer truck (up to ~1991 and someone will correct me on that ) then you'll be in business.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Don't be scared of that C6 transmission. The only downside is no overdrive, so if you can find an AOD transmission out of a newer truck (up to ~1991 and someone will correct me on that ) then you'll be in business.

An AOD is nowhere near as tough as a C6. Plus...if she wants a manual in it, that shouldn't be too hard a swap in that truck- all the parts (pedals, linkages, etc.) should be available since the truck was offered with a manual, and there's no computer to worry about.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Idk about the manual swap, but i will make a small suggestion, instead of running 2 or 3 carbs, just get a carb with enough cfm's....

Trying to tune multiple carbs is difficult to say the least.

the 390 can be built to be a monster of an engine, it could also be a 360 though, which is just a destroked 390...

I noticed you say you dont want to cut corners, with 10k you could have a nice lookin truck.

As said forget the lift, and forget the plow, make it into a nice daily or a cruiser...

Any questions in particular you might have?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I guess an important question is...what sort of use will it see?

Daily driver? Hauling heavy loads/trailers? Just for fun?

*Plowing with a 2wd is certainly possible...but I don't think it's a great idea to build this as a plow truck.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im with Ian on this one, if your going to rebuild a truck why do it into a work truck?
Make it nice, keep it nice...

Also, Mulder where are you from?

Last edited:
Might be a 360ci motor - the only way you can really tell between a 360 and a 390 for sure is to measure the stroke.

360 = 3.5"

390 = 3.78"

Vin plate would tell you, but on a 36 year old truck it's hard to say if it's the original block or not.

Might be a 360ci motor - the only way you can really tell between a 360 and a 390 for sure is to measure the stroke.

360 = 3.5"

390 = 3.78"

Vin plate would tell you, but on a 36 year old truck it's hard to say if it's the original block or not.

He mensioned that the pickup is a Ranger XLT which means its an upper trip model, and obviously cost more in the end. If someone wants a nice luxurious truck, I dont know if they would want to go with the lower engine.

Its probably a 390.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
He mensioned that the pickup is a Ranger XLT which means its an upper trip model, and obviously cost more in the end. If someone wants a nice luxurious truck, I dont know if they would want to go with the lower engine.

Its probably a 390.
Yeah i'm say a 390 or maybe even a 400..

Maybe I should have read the whole post lol, ok I would shoot for 390, but the 72 trucks also come with 352 360's..

Could be a 352, or a 360 but I wouldnt think so on an optioned out truck.

The janitor at my school drives an old rusty '74 with a 360.... :p

my 69 had a 360 in it....

It had some juevos... :D

My Dad had a 69 F250/w a 360 that ran real strong. Juevos, si.

When he got the 76 F250 with the same motor I was amazed at how much of a dog it was due to all of the smog stuff that was added in those 7 years.

My Dad had a 69 F250/w a 360 that ran real strong. Juevos, si.

When he got the 76 F250 with the same motor I was amazed at how much of a dog it was due to all of the smog stuff that was added in those 7 years.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Cut all of the smog crap off, straight pipe it, or use some smooth mufflers, and put headers on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts