Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

what to do, what to do

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I am in need of some advice from my fellow FORD brothers
my 2000 Chrysler Concorde just blew its engine, so I am now in need of a new family vehicle, but I do not know if I should go new or find a re-built old Ford 4x4,
I am going to go and see about taking out a home equity loan because my house is all paid for, and I know I want something 4 wheel drive
now this is going to be a family ride so gas mileage and comfort is an issue, but I do not know if I want to pay that hefty bill that a new truck will run me when I know I could find a real nice already re-built 78-79 4x4 rig, I just don't know what to do, I will not be doing anything until after the first of the year anyways, so I figure I got time to do some research, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys..Rick

Very true. I drive a 2001 explorer (4 door) XLT with the "sport package".

It has every comfort a family would want. Room for 5. Rear seat air and radio controls (headphone jacks for the kids). leather seats, AC, tilt, Cruise, power windows, power locks, in dash am/fm/cd.

It also has a good amount of storage in the back. Plus the rear seats fold flat if more is needed.

Mine is a 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E, 4X4, control track, and trac lock w/4.10 gears. If I had better tires, it would get around pretty well. Since I have the sport package, it came with 255/70/16s.

The only issues I have had with mine so far..were it needed brake pads, the thermostat stuck, and...well...thats about all I can think of right now. It has 105,000 miles now. I bought it about 4 (not sure) years ago.

I really would not want a 2002 because they dropped the straight rear axle for an independent one, but that is just me.

I get between 19 and 20 MPG. No matter what it seems. Local, highway, interstate, loaded, empty.

Now..if you are looking for a 4X4 truck...you must have a small family. YelloThumbUp

Some older pics of mine:

http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/index.htm

EDIT: the factory battery needed to be replaced at about 103,000 miles. LOL

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
My only issue with running a thirty yr old truck as the family car is very simple- at that age, they constantly need something.

Why not just get a wrecking-yard motor for the Concorde and call it a day? Probably run about a grand installed, but still...

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I do have a small family, there is just the three of us and two dogs, I talked it over with the wife and got her opinion, and she is wanting something small and 4 wheel drive, so we have decided not to go with a brand new ride and find something good but used, something along the lines of a small jeep, explorer, etc, I should be able to have the 78 Bronco finished up by the end of this summer anyways and it will be almost brand new, I wont fix the car because I am just plain sick of it and I hate it, I refuse to waste anymore time or money on it, we can get by for a little bit with no vehicle at this time, the first of the year is almost here and we will take it from there, thanks for letting me sound off, it really does help me to think it through a little bit better..Rick

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I'm with the others-- even though an old truck sounds nice, it's just not practical for a family car. I think a newer SUV would be your best bet.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If your not wanting to get some thing new, you could all ways get a Bronco or a Explorer I've had my bronco in the Colorado winters and it did great.

Psquare75

Creamsicle Driver
Weather permitting, I would have had no heistation driving my F100. I was daily driving it for 5 months this past year. Other than gas mileage and issues which I caused to begin with, I had no issues at all.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Why Didn't I Think About A BRONCO!??:spank:
that does sound like a good option. I will keep that in mind, but I am kinda liking the idea of a jeep wrangler, small, good on gas and 4 wheel
but this bronco idea would have its advantages as well, I should have my 78 Bronco all finished up this summer, and I will ave lots of spare parts left over. HMMmmnnn??YelloThumbUp

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Why Didn't I Think About A BRONCO!??:spank:
that does sound like a good option. I will keep that in mind, but I am kinda liking the idea of a jeep wrangler, small, good on gas and 4 wheel
but this bronco idea would have its advantages as well, I should have my 78 Bronco all finished up this summer, and I will ave lots of spare parts left over. HMMmmnnn??YelloThumbUp

Some of the older jeeps are really good little scooters, they are easy to work on and cheaper then a bronco or a Blazer..
My friend in Alaska has a old Jeep wrangler that he uses in the winter for a groceries getter..

Last edited:

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
yea, that is still on the top of my list, I was just looking through Craigslist and I am finding a lot of nice little jeeps around here, not so much with the broncos..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts