Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Head studs and the 6.0

blacksnapon

Staff member
I figure this one will start a firestorm, but here goes. Many people have been saying that headstuds are the way to go on a 6.0. I dont, and heres my reasoning. When there are 2 different metal types (aluminum heads/cast iron block) you must take into consideration expansion and contraction. Essentially, that is why there is torque to yield bolts. The different expansion and contraction rates between the head and block require movement. Thats also the reason the 6.0 uses multi layered steel headgaskets. The TTY bolts allow for this movement. Headstuds eliminate this. The possibility of gasket/cylinder head failure is compounded. Cracks can develop (especially around bolt holes). Gasket failure from more pressure, and lessened movement.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I figure this one will start a firestorm, but here goes. Many people have been saying that headstuds are the way to go on a 6.0. I dont, and heres my reasoning. When there are 2 different metal types (aluminum heads/cast iron block) you must take into consideration expansion and contraction. Essentially, that is why there is torque to yield bolts. The different expansion and contraction rates between the head and block require movement. Thats also the reason the 6.0 uses multi layered steel headgaskets. The TTY bolts allow for this movement. Headstuds eliminate this. The possibility of gasket/cylinder head failure is compounded. Cracks can develop (especially around bolt holes). Gasket failure from more pressure, and lessened movement.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid 'drama'

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
What would the benefits of studs be? In your opinion? There is certainly a lot of people that think they are the way to go. Is one re usable if need be or under smiilar situations they both require the same thing?

blacksnapon

Staff member
What would the benefits of studs be? In your opinion? There is certainly a lot of people that think they are the way to go. Is one re usable if need be or under smiilar situations they both require the same thing?
The high performance industry has been using them for years (and quite effectively). They eliminate the bolt stretching that has been talked about. What isn't talked about, is the drive to soccer practice, shutdown, then the drive to the grocery store, then back home. The temperature fluctuations in street use are much wider than in racing applications. The need for some "elasticity" in the fasteners is greater in this respect. In racing, the engines aren't expected to go 100k-200k miles between teardowns. All aluminum engines---no problem.

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused here, so please bear with me . I assume that the TTY bolts do just that - yield when they have reached the proper torque during assembly.

Any normal heat induced "stretching" that takes place during operation of the motor would be followed by an equal contraction when the motor cools, correct?

Would studs not do the same with regard to the heating/cooling of the block?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I am not a tech but I have a read a lot about the 6.0. I decided to go with the studs from everything that i have read. i will find out what happens when I put the sct on it. If it don't hold up I guess it will be a new custom built motor.

Kep4

Jäger
So there's an elasticity difference between TTY bolts and ARP studs?

Does the 5.9 Cummins use TTY head bolts?

When there are 2 different metal types (aluminum heads/cast iron block) you must take into consideration expansion and contraction. Essentially, that is why there is torque to yield bolts. The different expansion and contraction rates between the head and block require movement. Thats also the reason the 6.0 uses multi layered steel headgaskets. The TTY bolts allow for this movement. Headstuds eliminate this. The possibility of gasket/cylinder head failure is compounded. Cracks can develop (especially around bolt holes). Gasket failure from more pressure, and lessened movement.

Are you saying that the 6.0L has aluminum heads? I thought the heads/block were both cast iron.

Correct, except the head has a alluminum rocker carrier bolted to it wich the headbolts also go through.

That makes sense. I knew that the rocker carrier was aluminum but I did not realize that the head bolts went through there.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm afraid I'm a bit confused here, so please bear with me . I assume that the TTY bolts do just that - yield when they have reached the proper torque during assembly.

Any normal heat induced "stretching" that takes place during operation of the motor would be followed by an equal contraction when the motor cools, correct?

Would studs not do the same with regard to the heating/cooling of the block?
There is no elasticity with studs.......none.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts