Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will this oil pan work? And some pics of my future project...

I run with scissors.

Hey all,

I'm going take a few minutes to tell my fellow Ford Truck Fanatics about an engine swap I have planned for my '79 F150 2wd and to ask my first (of many) technical questions.

The first question is, do you think this oil pan will work in my '79 F150 2wd? You can note the oil filter and starter to know which end is which. Does anyone have a good pic of the oil pan that came on 302 equipped 2wd trucks?

12-08-08006.jpg

12-08-08011.jpg

And for the planned project... My old '79 spends much of it's time sitting in my driveway because the 351M in it is about trashed, gets horrible fuel mileage, and the 3.50 gears suck on the highway. I want to swap a 5.0 HO with an AOD into it.

The goal is to have a truck that is dependable, gets decent MPG, can cruise 75 mph on the highway, and is easy to drive by anyone (like my girlfriend). The truck will be driven 84 miles a day when I take it to work. I plan to have working A/C and cruise control. I've spent the last couple years reading and planning, so I've got a good idea about what I want to do.

The goal is NOT to race or haul heavy trailers, so I'm thinking the 302 and AOD will be fine. The donor vehicle weighed more than my F150.

The donor engine and transmission are from a '92 Thunderbird Sport that just turned 80,000 when it was side swiped. I drove the car around for a while before removing the engine and it ran real well (see more pics below).

I'm supporting a family of 5 on my small single income, so this will be a very slow project as funds permit. I'm sure I will have many questions along the way, and I hope to not become a nuisance.

Anyway, enough blabbering, here's some pics of the donor engine...

12-08-08001.jpg

12-08-08005.jpg

12-08-08009.jpg

12-08-08008.jpg

7-22-05011.jpg

I run with scissors.

I thought the pan I have is a rear sump? With a little reservior on the front.

And the pan you linked is for a 460 instead of a 302. I'd like to keep the pan I have now since it's free and doesn't leak, otherwise I would try to get a good OEM pan used from somewhere.

Yes that is a rear sump pan.

It will be fine.

Guess who has a set of rebuilt HO heads for that engine ? :)

Yep, I'm here for you.

Fellro

Staff member
I happen to have something similar to that sitting in an 85 or so 250. It clears quite well. I want to say the 400 in my 77 is a front sump, but I definitely could be wrong, don't recall. The motor sits high on the 70's trucks compared to the 80's trucks so crossmember clearance doesn't tend to be such an issue. I'll have to take a look at the 79 that got dropped off, it has a 302 or 351W in it, and see how they set it up.

Fellro

Staff member
I looked at the trucks today, both have front sump pans, the deep part of the pan is over the cross member, so you should have no problems with that pan, all kinds of room at the back. The exhaust crosses under the motor there is the only thing other than steering linkage, which will be too low to be a problem.

Be prepared for lots of work. Jobs like this (I have done a few) ALWAYS end up taking way more time than planned and ALWAYS have unexpected hang-ups.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts