Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4wheel drive problems

I just bought an 04 FX4 and am having a problem with the 4 wheel drive. When it engages it makes a thud (not the kind of sound anyone with a 4X4 wants to hear). then when i drive down the road it pulls hard to the right. this only happens in 4 hi, 4 low works perfectly. It also isnt disengaging properly either. I have to back up about 50 feet before it will disengage from 4-Hi.

Anyone ever had a similar problem??

blacksnapon

Staff member
I just bought an 04 FX4 and am having a problem with the 4 wheel drive. When it engages it makes a thud (not the kind of sound anyone with a 4X4 wants to hear). then when i drive down the road it pulls hard to the right. this only happens in 4 hi, 4 low works perfectly. It also isnt disengaging properly either. I have to back up about 50 feet before it will disengage from 4-Hi.

Anyone ever had a similar problem??
I dont want to sound like I'm belittling you, but thats generally how they work. Some of the "quieter" 4x4 systems aren't as strong either. Theres a tradeoff, strength for quiet. Look at your manual, it pretty much outlines it in there. And welcome to FTF!

I know that 4X4 systems make some noise and rattle a bit, but this inst the normal 4 wheel drive noise. It actually sounds like the running gear is going to drop out of the truck. After my post i went out and tried it again and the steering wheel jerks while i am going straight down the road, and has to be turned about 15 degrees to the left to keep going straight down the road, then will feel like something catches and turns to the left...

Thanks for the welcome btw. I am no mechanic, but i definately know something is not right

Its when i am moving - found out a little bit ago that my upper control arms are bad and shifting into 4wd while moving is causing the thud.

Also I was told when moving let off the gas when switching to 4 wheel drive ones it engages you can continue driving. Holding the gas and switching isnt good. Dont know if you were doing that to. Well at least you found out what it is.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I know that 4X4 systems make some noise and rattle a bit, but this inst the normal 4 wheel drive noise. It actually sounds like the running gear is going to drop out of the truck. After my post i went out and tried it again and the steering wheel jerks while i am going straight down the road, and has to be turned about 15 degrees to the left to keep going straight down the road, then will feel like something catches and turns to the left...

Thanks for the welcome btw. I am no mechanic, but i definately know something is not right

Are you engaging 4WD on dry pavement? If so, this will cause pulling & jerking of the steering wheel. 4WD should only be used on slick pavement (ice or snow covered) or off road (ie dirt, gravel etc).

It was icy and the roads were snow covered also. I have never had this happen with any of the other 4X4's I've owned, but there again i am not a mechanic...ha ha just a guy with not so great luck lately. Thanks for all the replies!!

mSaLL150

California Chapter member

Open differential up front. The way it works on these truck is it goes back and forth between the front wheels providing power. You can put a tru-trac limited slip up front, but thats gonna cost ya. I say just deal with it, it'll get you where you need to go. :)

thank for all the input, i had new upper control arms put in and that solved the pulling and steering wheel jerking. the ball joints and contrlo arm bushings were shot!

Update on the 4x4 - I finally took it in to the ford garage, turns out the truck was "upgraded" to a 3.73 rear end and it must have been built on a friday because they put a 3.55 front end in and a 3.73 rear end.... anyone got any ideas on an inexpensive place to get a 3.73 front end???

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yikes!!!!!

That come out of the factory like that? Or did some knucklehead previous owner decide he wanted better acceleration but wasn't smart enough to regear both axles?

Being the truck is pretty new, you may be able to find a low-mileage front axle at a wrecking yard without too much trouble- and 3.73 shouldn't be too uncommon. Not sure how cost would compare to regearing the front you've got now, though.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts