Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another exhaust question..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey guys while I was changing the fuel filter on my 02 ranger and stopped and took a good look at the exhaust system and my god my truck has 4! cats and a muffler! all those cats have to be killing performance.
Would I be helping or hurting by cutting all those cats out and putting a true dual system on.
I was just going to keep the stock manifold on..
What say you guys?

blacksnapon

Staff member
its called OBD2. See those o2 sensors before and after the cats? The one downstream measures the efficiency of the cat.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
You CAN cut out the cats...but I don't know what it might do. Possibly check engine light staying on? :wasntme:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It'll throw your o2 sensors for a loop and the computer will start metering your fuel in ways that aren't optimal for performance/economy. On a newer car you're better with keeping the cats around-- they're not that much of a performance draw.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well there has to be away to go in to the puter and turn them off...
You don't WANT to turn them off... You're computer uses the oxygen sensors (along with other readings) to decide how much fuel to dump into your combustion chamber. You need them.

If you're stuck on ousting your stock cats-- then your best bet is to replace them with emissions approved hi-flow cats. I use Magnaflows on my truck.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I had them installed at the same time that I had my exhaust redone. So it's tough to say whether the improvements came from deleting the muffler, opening up the pipes wider, or swapping the cats-- but I do think I did notice a little improvement. Could also be a placebo effect from the louder exhaust.

My opinion-- keep your stock cats and save the money for something else.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
thats goin on with my papaws truck...the check engine light is on and he dont care.. hes just gonna let it burn out

took my dads light 50k miles to burn out...
Took the right side guage lights with it to...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I had them installed at the same time that I had my exhaust redone. So it's tough to say whether the improvements came from deleting the muffler, opening up the pipes wider, or swapping the cats-- but I do think I did notice a little improvement. Could also be a placebo effect from the louder exhaust.

My opinion-- keep your stock cats and save the money for something else.

smilieIagree

Unless your gonna go with a different exhaust (bigger diameter etc.) then do like Chris said and go with aftermarket cats...:pimp:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ya I think i'm going to do just that.
The more I look in to it the more it seems its just a waste of money for really small to no gains at all...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts