Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear end, what is it?

grantpete

Pete Grant
How can you tell the difference between a dana 60 and 70? My 81 f 350 (I think, it has a 150 cab) has a dana 50 front end and Im not sure what the rear is. It looks bigger than a 60, has the inch and sixteenth lug nuts with reverse thread on the drivers rear. No tags eather. Any ideas?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
check your door jam sticker that has your V.I.N. on it. it will give you an axle code that you can use to decode or just tell us and we can decode it for ya ;)

grantpete

Pete Grant
1/2 ton cab with original nose. The nose has a no catalyst sticker on it?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Try looking for numbers that may be cast into the front of the rear end. Some dana axles have them.

grantpete

Pete Grant
We wire brushed it clean and couldnt find nothing. Kinda weard.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Not real weird. I've seen a few with no numbers. I can take a pic of a 60 and post it for you if that will help any.

grantpete

Pete Grant
I looked on the internet and a 60, 61 and 70 all look alike. Somebody told me that ford put 70's in the rear of the trucks that have 50 front ends. I gotta get my girlfriend to take a pic of it and post it on here for me.

I run with scissors.

Check the area in the webbing on the rear of the housing on the right side. It's arrow #3 in the pic below labeled "model number". Look for a "60" or "70".

billofmaterial.jpg

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
The 1 1/6" reverse thread lugnuts make me believe that it is a D70, or a Sterling 10.25. Maybe a D70U?

Pick which picture matches what you have the closest.
ford1025in.jpg

dana70.jpg

gmcorp14bolt9.jpg

grantpete

Pete Grant
The middle picture looks like it. I know its not a sterling, just wondering what it is.

grantpete

Pete Grant
Whats a dana 70u?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts