Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Delete egr cooler yes or no?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
My truck is in the shop to have the headgaskets replaced. It has been loosing coolant and has recently started puking really bad. When I dropped it off at the dealer i talked to the tech. He is going to install ARP head studs. he asked me If I wanted to do an egr delete. He said he would install it if I bought the parts. I am almost out of warranty. I have 92k on my truck.

I guess the question that I have is would you block off the egr cooler or completly delete it. In the future I plan on modding my 6.0. I plan on doing a FASS fuel system with ITP regulated return, injectors, non vgt turbo, Spartan phalax tuner.

I know that some of you guys don't approve of moding the 6.0. But after the headgaskets I won't be looking for warranty work. (It has already been in the shop twice for coolant loss) Which would i benefit mor from egr block off $150 or EGR delete $250 to $600.

I know I will get honest accurate advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
go to liberator diesel and get a egr delete kit from them. it is pricey, but i have done one and it is a nice kit with a lifetime warranty on the parts. this kit is reversible unlike most others out there, and i havent seen a ck engine lt yet but it does throw a egr low flow code which is not issue.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Thanks bowtiehatr. I have seen that kit. I just didn't know if it was worth the money.

Could I do the block off now and delete it when I change the turbo?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I did the liberator on mine and have been quite happy. :)

You want to talk modding of the 6.0 sometime, hit me up. I can tell you some experiences and give you ideas on the right way to start.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Todd I am planning on a fass fuel system with ITP regulated return, stage 2 sticks and 64mm non vgt from Josh. He said it should be between 525 to 550 rear wheel hp. I am also thinking about ficm tuning or the spartan Phalax. If I just go with FICM tuning it will be from inovative. The Phalax is in the beta test stage. It will be a little pricey. The other thing that I don't like about it I will be limited to just Spartan fo my tuning.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I have a 64mm non-vgt sitting on a shelf in my garage. :) Needs a bit of work though. New bearings and an impeller or two. :wasntme:

I agree, Spartans tunes ROCK. I use an SCT with tunes from Innovative Diesel. I was going to get some Spartan Tunes from Matt, but I had a little issue and didn't get around to it. lol

blacksnapon

Staff member
The reason I dont like the egr delete, is several sensor readings can be changed as well. The IAT sensor measures the intake temperature (IAT is one input for turbo strategy). No egr changes the intake air temp. The MAP sensor measures air pressure in the intake stream (again an input for driveability calculations). Egr is, for the lack of a better explanation, a controlled vacuum leak, so, air pressure in the intake stream is altered. My contention is that if you install a coolant filter, and maintain your engine, egr issues will greatly be reduced. Unless you use tuning to change all the sensors operating perameters, other driveability issues are on your horizon.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I agree with Matt being awsome for his tuning. I have several friends running his tunes. I have been waiting for the warranty to expire before I got crazy with my truck. It has been having coolant issues for the 2 years that I have owned it. According to the oasis it had a egr and oil cooler put on it right before I bought it. I tracked down the previous owner and it was puking before he traded it in.

The thing is that it just started puking on me. The coolant was just dissiapearing. I did have it puke a couple of times while towing. I hope to eliminate that with the gaskets and studs. Once I am sure about my truck being right I will start ordering the list of parts above.

Todd I don't want to have to replace a moter like you did. I hope to learn from other peoples mistakes. I rember reading what happend to your truck.

What mods do you have now? How much power are you making?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Whats the real purpose of getting rid of the EGR cooler and not the EGR is self..
The problem is that diesels dont take well to an egr system. Government mandates are requiring them to do it to pass emissions. The egr cooler is in the exhaust flow, so, there is extreme heat involved. The coolant flow for the egr cooler comes from the oil cooler. In the manufacturing process to cast the engine block, there can be casting sand loose in the coolant. That has a tendency to collect in the oil cooler, plugging it up, thus restricting coolant flow to the egr cooler, causing failure in the egr cooler. The thoughts are, dont fix the cause (casting sand), just delete the symptom, handicapping the efficiency of the egr system. One has to remember, all of the engine systems are computer controlled, and linked to each other. Changing one component, changes other readings downstream as well.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
What mods do you have now? How much power are you making?
FASS fuel, Return Regulated Fuel System, Intake, 4" DP to 5", Banks Intercooler, EGR Delete, Triple Disc Torque Converter & SCT.

Don't know how much power for sure, but guess it's in the neighborhood of 400-425. Nothing like it had, but reliable. lol

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
not trying to start a pissing contest vince but egr system efficient? if they would have ran the lcf or 650-750 egr valves on the super duties, MAYBE we wouldnt have as many issues as we do, or if they would have left the round egr cooler on these trucks. i did a egr cooler delete and within doing so the ambulance runs great with no adverse effects and only code is a low egr flow code which is nothing.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Nah, theres arguements for both sides (which I respect) it amounts to a choice, and either has its good points and bad points.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Thanks for the answers guys. You guys work on these trucks daily. That is why I asked here. I knew I would get answers from experienced techs not just opinions.

I think that I will just use block off plates for now. I may completly remove it when I change the turbo and install the new injectors.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts