Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

77 F100

Michigan
Ok heres a tough one guys...

This is exactly what my dad has..

Its a 1977 Ford F-100 4x4 with a C6 and a 460. Now we thought that the motor was a swap, ive never heard of a 100 or 150 having a 460 factory... Well anyways. We are doing some fixin on it (PS pump, brake booster and master cylinder) Well whenever we go to autozone they told my dad its a mexican truck... So today to pick up the PS pump i decided to go with him to hear them say that again. And sure enough they said its a mexican truck, so i grabbed the screen and had a look for myself...

They had a couple of engine choices including a 460.. But heres the kicker, the PS pump for the F100 with a 460 wasnt even close. Its a PS pump for a 78+ 150.

Is there someone who i can give the vin number to so they can decode it and see what this is? My dad said he thinks its a hot truck with different tags lol. Title cleared but i hope not lol

Pm me the VIN. I can run it through a decoder. Not sure what we will come up with though. LOL

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
The 460 was not a factory engine in a 4X4 till '83. I think the key is to find out what year (ish) your engine came from and buy parts for it that way. Sometimes you will have to bring your parts in with you, and when you find a year match, use that year to order parts. NAPA, CSK, Autozone and Rock Auto's website have pictures of the parts they are selling so that will solve some of the guess work prior to entering the store. Dennis can decode your VIN, or you can search the web for a 73-79 vin decoder, there are lots of them out there. I have bought parts for a 68 thunderbird, 85 GMC2500, 79 caddilac eldorad, 76 thunderbird, 82 lincoln Mark7, etc to fit my 77 F250.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The problem with these older trucks is there so many parts swapped over years that the vin is useless. The PS pump was probably added when motor was.
I don't even bother with giving them much info Other than year model when working on old stock. I just have them look it up Basic truck and compare parts . Heck it took azoned 3 tries for rear ujionts. parts For a 95 F150 .

The problem with these older trucks is there so many parts swapped over years that the vin is useless......

That is a really good point. It is extremely rare to find one from the 50s that has anything left stock. A lot of them are just the cab and everything else has been replaced. Some even the cabs have been replaced with a new one (fiberglass). LOL

Yes...your dad's is a lot newer than that, but it is still 30 years old. Unless someone buys them new...who knows. :rotz:

Why PM stuff like this privately ?

Just post the numbers and it will be decoded.

Leave out the last 3 digits of you are worried about thre actual VIN# being seen.

I sit here all day waiting for tech questions :)

Btw, No 460 in a 4x4 Light truck was ever built in the factory until 1983.

Michigan
il post it up when i get time to write it down.. Im not worried about the vin being out in the open, its not my truck ;) lmao

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts