Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4 issues Valve train/head noise

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Had this posted else where. Found a 06 F250 4x4 sc with 5.4 for $9000 100000 miles

Has noise rap in left bank . Other than head redo what else may I run into that will need replaced . I know possible push rod or cam .

blacksnapon

Staff member
The modulars have had ongoing issues with chain tensioners, valvetrain noise. If debris was caught in the oil passages, it will starve the head for oil. I think theres a restrictor in the oil line that commonly gets plugged. Cheap oil filters, extended oil change intervals are the main contributors.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I knew I wasn't in kansas any more when started to research them .
Will wait till I get them Ford repair manual in mail to see.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The modulars have had ongoing issues with chain tensioners, valvetrain noise. If debris was caught in the oil passages, it will starve the head for oil. I think theres a restrictor in the oil line that commonly gets plugged. Cheap oil filters, extended oil change intervals are the main contributors.

So If I get a set of heads and new chains May be good to go?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Be kind of pricey, but yeah!

Considering truck just like it r on lot with same miles for $3-5000 more I'm ok on parts . I found whole 70000 mile motor for $1000

Ford Truck Articles