Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Never mind......

Back again with an update for those who offered info&advice. My recently found '70F250CS was looking ill in the 360. Rough idle,low power,blue smoke,ect. Figured it would need a motor when I bought it. Then the family hauler went belly up and I spent the truck budget on a new minivan. Now for the good news! The 'ol FE will live. I found the weirdest thing causing most of the problems. She blew the first emissions test at 4 times the hydrocarbons limit with low CO. Things started making sense when I dropped the idle WAY down and checked rpm drop cyl to cyl. Right bank,two weak holes inboard-left bank,two weak holes outboard. BINGO-carb related! Sooo I pull the carb off again and take a REAL GOOD look again. What I found was sand packed up inside one of the emulsion tubes. Grains bigger than the primary jets! The only way I can figure they got there is by someone dropping the venturi assembly in the dirt while putting a kit in the carb. This carb looked clean and correct so I had ruled it out as a problem. I swapped in another venturi assembly from an old carb since the sand was permanently lodged in the other,slapped it back down and fired the old girl up again. Equal response from both idle screws,even rpm drop across all 8. Off to test, passed with flying colors,and my new old truck is legal,licensed and rolling up the road. She's still a little blue in the exhaust when I let off to shift, but not bad for a cheap, high miles, old truck. HAPPY ENDING. Once again, Thanks to everyone for your input and Thanks to the Big Boys who run this very nice site. V.M.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sweet man!! post some pics of even better some vids :D

remember......

If you check my other posts you will see that you were warned about my computer skills.........I just figured out posting on forums, sorta. Haven't mastered uploading pics yet. Fight with computer/Work on truck....No contest, truck wins!!! I am trying to learn this stuff though. Small doses as patience permits. My kids will teach me soon,oldest is in 3rd grade!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks for coming back with the solution. I had a similar problem when trying to get my flathead on the road - ran lousy and couldn't get all the junk out of the carb. Finally picked up an old carb at a swap meet and bingo! - truck is still running that carb today.

I highly recommend an inline filter to protect the carb from all the schizzle in the tank.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts