Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need Help

Michigan
Well i dont but my boss might..

He has a 05 CC SB 4x4 F250. Has the 6.0 diesel. Well he had a diesel performance shop put guages, intake, and exhaust on his truck. His exhaust is a 4 inch turbo back system with no cat.

Well now that you have some background heres the problem. His truck was sluggish, and blew a ton of white smoke. So he took it in and they replaced the EGR valve, and cooler. They said hes lucky he brought it in because he was getting coolant in the motor oil.

Well its been back for a couple days now and every time we start it, a huge puff of white smoke, and nothing but a solid stream of blue smoke as its warming up. WTH is going on with this thing!? Is that normal because of no cat? My dad has a 7.3 and when he first starts it up maby one small puff of blue smoke but thats it....

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well when I used to work on big rigs when it was really cold out side and we would first start the trucks up they would blow! all kinds of colors out the stacks but it has to be cold to do that.
If its not cold there could be a small water leak some where that is getting in to the cylinders while it is sitting.. if its like this I would just a normal cold ass start.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I would have the service department hook it up to their computer and make sure all of the computer systems are re-flashed to the most recent update. Thye latest allows for the injectors to heat up and liquify the oil in them to aid in quicker starting.

As well, it will report if anything else is going on?

Are his fuel and oil filters OEM/Racor made or Motorcraft brand? Racor makes filters for Motorcraft.

Since they replaced the EGR and cooler, did they check everything else or just make repairs to make some money and claim warrenty work back to Ford?

My truck, when its cold outside, puffs for 1 - 2 seconds... then all is normal.

Maybe try another dealer and get a second opinion????

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Keep an eye on the coolant level. With them changing the oil and egr coolers it could possibly have damaged headgaskets.

blacksnapon

Staff member
First off, the oil is at a higher pressure than the coolant, so it would be more likely to get oil in the coolant, not the other way around. Changing intake and exhaust does change operating perameters. Boost is determined by measurements of exhaust back pressure, manifold pressure, mass air flow, and intake air temperature. The aftermarket parts you've installed changed most, if not all of them.

Michigan
he uses Amsoil. Swears by it but im trying to get him to switch back to motorcraft oil filters and Rotella.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
First off, the oil is at a higher pressure than the coolant, so it would be more likely to get oil in the coolant, not the other way around. Changing intake and exhaust does change operating perameters. Boost is determined by measurements of exhaust back pressure, manifold pressure, mass air flow, and intake air temperature. The aftermarket parts you've installed changed most, if not all of them.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid You will never get rid of all the smoke without the cat being there. When it gets really cold no matter how long the glow plugs are on you'll get the white puff. The blue is the fuel, fuel quality plays a big part in that also. There is a reflash avail for cold start rough running.

Michigan
Ok thanks guys. Il have to tell him about the reflash. Its beyond me with why they didnt reflash it while it was already in the shop!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts