Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rearend noise?

guys Im trying to self diagnose some rearend noise im haveing...
history, truck has 46,000 miles on it stock rearend, I had the pinion seal and flane replaced at 35,000 miles because pumpkin had started to get wet at the pinion seal, at 37,000 miles I put on a 08' rear diff cover and refilled with royal purple, now im starting to get a whirling sound from what I think is the rear end of the truck its more noticable under deceleration and doesnt change pitch when turnig left or right im thinking pinion bearings or maybe the pinion preload came undone?????

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Did you use the correct weight oil? Is your rear end limited slip? If so-- did you use friction modifier or LS-rated oil?

I used the recomended oil and the royal purple has the additive in it for the L.S.....I checked the fill plug which is magnetic and found very little metal debris?

blacksnapon

Staff member
If the preload wasnt set correctly when the seal was replaced, crush sleeve damage can happen. Because of the decel noise, I lean toward the ring and pinion.

well I think thenoise isalways there but its more noticable whenI letoff the throttle, guess I should probably just take it in, would I be better off taking it to a rear end shop?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
My truck has been doing the same thing for years.
Few months ago I had to change out my bearings I took my truck to a well known local rear end guru after he rebuilt every thing and filled it with RP I noticed the noise was worse then before.
I took it back to him and asked him what was up and he said its the RP, He told me that RP doesn't make the noise but it doesn't have any sound damping quality like conventional oil does.
I asked him how does he know this and he said he has been using RP in all his personal builds for years and he noticed that every rear end he put it in became noisier.

yes im out of warranty...
If it was the royal purple , im curious as to why it took 10,000 miles to start getting loud?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I didn't notice you have a newer truck My truck has a 9" and the rears ends the man I was talking about used were 9's
I would say that some thing may bewrong.
I would learn towards they might have not torqued every thing right when they put it back together I don't think it has any thing to do with the Oil..

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
yes im out of warranty...
If it was the royal purple , im curious as to why it took 10,000 miles to start getting loud?

If it was the gear lube, did you use the correct viscosity and fill to the correct level?

Or was it a seal installation problem as Vince pointed out earlier?

blacksnapon said:
If the preload wasnt set correctly when the seal was replaced, crush sleeve damage can happen. Because of the decel noise, I lean toward the ring and pinion.

yes I used the 75-140 oil and refilled to spec I think it was 3 1/2 quarts....

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
yes I used the 75-140 oil and refilled to spec I think it was 3 1/2 quarts....

I figured this was correct.

I think i would take a serious look into what Vince had to say.

ya i think im gonna take it in to ford, thanks guys and especialy vince and black hat you two are a very valuable gift to us all with your info!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts