Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time to get the winter gear out?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
What do you guys in New York have to do to get ready for winter? And have you done it yet?

We know Tony in FL breaks out his winter flip flops. And I got my cold weather shorts and t-shirts out but...

Tell a lifetime cali boy what it takes to get ready for a real winter?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
well I'm close and live in snow belt . Usually winter tires , extra fluids, parts , extra jeans socks. in truck .

Other than that I alway have 30 + ft chain in truck . And play tow truck quite often. And chain saw is in back to cut trees off road to get to work .

Put all mowers in moth balls . Stock up on fire wood.

I'm OK in Cold but my hand don't like it ...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
We get alot of snow here. All I do is put the snow blade and the snow blower on the tractor. Get a little firewood gathered up,and about 5-6 tons of coal for heat.
Snow tires on the car,trucks get a oil change and the antifreeze checked because it has went to 24 below here already.
I allways have a tow strap ready year round. But other than that nothing really special is done.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Its still in the 70s and 80s here. I haven't seen real snow in a long long time :waa:

ameritaz3038

New York Chapter Leader
man i never seen this thread. but with the weather the pass few weeks it may be time to get this going again.

and just for giggles

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE Buffalonian when:

1. "Vacation" means going over to your cabin in Canada for the weekend. (Or driving 2 hours to Toronto!)

2. You measure distance in hours. (Funny, I don't know why but I do that too!)

3. You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

4. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again. (Guilty as charged!)

5. You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.

6. You carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them. (TRUE!!! Not to mention, all the equipment necessary like shovel, de-icer..etc needed)

7. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

8. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

9. You know all 4 seasons: almost fall, winter, still winter and road construction.

10. Down South to you means ERIE, PA.

11. You find '0' degrees "a little chilly."

12. You go out to fish fry every Friday, Prime Rib on Saturday and bingo every Wednesday. (Late nights at Applebees!)

13. Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

14. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

15. You actually understand these jokes, and you forward them to all your
Buffalo friends!

To add to this list:

16. You can leave your frozen food in the balcony or in the trunk overnight and they'll all still be frozen the next day!

17. Your pet goldfish froze to death because the tank is next to the windows and you've forgotten to close them. (True! It happened to a friend of mine)

18. You know what is the difference between: ice/slush or sleet/black ice/hail snow/freezing rain/flurries.

19. You bring around an extra pair of gloves/mittons/scarf/beanie for just in case...

ameritaz3038

New York Chapter Leader
This pic was taken around new years. Notice my winter attire.

TonyBoat12-29-07.jpg

i did that once on new years it was called "polar bear swim" it was way cool , until you leave the water, then it was hell on earth.

ameritaz3038

New York Chapter Leader
over all herein the Buffalo NY if you lived here for at least a year you know to always have theses in your vehicle
1. gloves
2. hat
3. coat(in my case a jacket,never where a coat)
4. jumper cables
5. blanket
6. chap stick
7. boots
8. shovel/rock salt or sand
9. ice scraper of some sort

and most of all the AAA card.

here we never get prepared for winter, we are ready at all times.

ameritaz3038

New York Chapter Leader
same goes for vehicle :
always a good set of all season tires
fluids change regularly (all fluids)
extra alcohol(not booze) (for thawing frozen washer fluid)
a friends number handle to help dig you out if snow sneaks up on like 3 years ago
crank type flashlight /radio
and a well thought out plan if you get stranded( me for instance stashed in my truck never in same location i have a sizable amount of petty cash.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts