Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4X4 or Dually

I am looking a second F250/350 to tow a 22 foot Starcraft Islander. Since I camp in remote areas, there are often no "estblished-paved or cement" ramps and you have to rely on getting yourself in and out of the tidal zone sand/shore. Obviously a 4X4 would be ideal but I only need this approximately 4 times a year. Would prefer to run with a 2 wheel drive for mileage but wonder if anybody out there has any experience in this situation that could advise whether a 2 wheel drive dually will work for these few situations with an approximat 3500 lb boat and a tandem trailer. thanks for your time and expertise.
Darryl

if mileage is your concern, i'm not sure how much, if any, you'd save in a 2wd dually vs a 4x4 single wheel.

That's exactly what I am thinking... I mean a 2wd single axle truck vs a 4 wheel drive dually... how much of a mileage difference can there be...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I am NOT an expert at all, but I think that you'd have better luck pulling the boat out with a SRW than a DRW, regardless of whether the front axle is driven. (Obviously, a driven front axle will help if it's slick.)

And a 3500 lb boat sure doesn't need a dually truck for safe pulling...

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The dually is massive overkill- and will suck gas like heck won't have it. Figure 3-5 mpg to the dually setup just on it's own.

One question- a 3500 and boat and trailer- is a 3/4T even necesssary? I mean seriously, the kids Ranger will pull that without too much difficulty. One thing I would not do without, under any circumstances, is the 4X4 part. Especially for a truck that's pulling in and out of boat ramps or, better yet, tidal shores and sand. The low range has as much/more value than the 4WD itself.

We see 4WD's get stuck all the time in the tidal zones up here on the coast- no one even tries with a 2WD.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
A wench? Like a pirate wench? I don't know how that will help, but I am all for it!

l_IC1004-pirate%20wench%20costume.jpg

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
get a wench, dont want the tide to come in while you are stuck.
iv got a 4x4 dually, I get 14.5 MPG, and a front receiver for the tricky boat ramps

I just realized your from Chattanooga! smiliegitrdone

I'm from Knoxville!

A wench? Like a pirate wench? I don't know how that will help, but I am all for it!

l_IC1004-pirate%20wench%20costume.jpg

:headbang:

Not what he meant...

anyway, back to OP.. I also think they dually is overkill (although they look cool :D)

You could probably get by with a F-150 4x4. Possibly even a 6banger if you are concerned about gas milage.

If you are set on getting a F250/350, or are sure thats what you need I'd go for a F-250 4x4.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Hey, I am not here to interpret posts. I just read whats there and respond. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts