Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Slideshow pics of new truck

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
My cousin and I spent the afternoon taking pics, assessing, and washing the truck. Here's the slideshow pics. Quite the project.

It is an 1980 Ford Flareside, 302 automatic with ps and pb. Truck has Ranger emblems everywhere. What does 'Ranger' stand for back then?

On the rear window, note the Tazmanian decal on there. Might leave him there and write "Piss on Chevy" around him.

I need a new grill, FORD lettering emblems for the front of the hood, two amber front turn signal lenses, a radio, a dash speaker and grilll, n inside door handle, complete inside door lock board, pair of rocker panels, new floor on driver's side, new brake lines, new muffler, pair of doors?, perhaps the list will continue...

Tyl

Nice project Tyl. Looks pretty decent to begin with. Ranger was the Intermediate trim in the early '80s before '83 when the Ranger (small pickup) came out as an '84. Think of the "XL" trim, before they called it "XL." Below XLT and Lariat, but above "Custom." :)

Last edited:
Looks like it is a pretty good start. The list will grow with little stuff as you fix it up. It always does.

Sounds like just about everything is bolt on except the rocker panels. In theory (with the right tools) they are not that hard to do. Do you have a friend who knows how to do that?

Yes...Ranger was a trim package dating back to the late 60s or early 70s. My uncle had a 67-72 body style (not sure of year) F-100 "Ranger" when I was a kid.

The small courier was redesigned and renamed to ranger starting in 83.

tylstruck

The cab also has XLT emblems on the cab outside to the right of the door. Also another XLT on the dash. I can't find anything out of the ordinary except the woodgrain trim and each wheel well has an aluminum arched sticked on. Not sure if that's original or aftermarket.

I bought the truck for $400. Engines runs, cept brakes r bad and the seller kept the battery.

Tyl

tylstruck

My cousin Brittany, took these three pics;

n533205122_4608228_4099.jpg

Note the XLT emblem on cab to the right of the door.

n533205122_4608227_3828.jpg

My apology, I look such like a mentally challenged person in this one, which I am at times. Brittany assures I aren't, just perverted.

n533205122_4608233_5510.jpg

Brittany, I and the truck. Brittany moved to London with me. We're not living in the same house or sub-division. She moved here to pursue her training as a horse masseuse. She's a very smart individual. Last year she started university studies in Guelph, ON in the medical field. She quickly dropped out when she was required to disect a human body. It freaked her out and decided to switch her studies as a registered horse masseuse. Problem is, there's only three private institutions in the world teaching this field. London, ON being the only North American. The other is in Finland and Australia, I beleive. There is opther ones, however they're not registered.

Why massage horse? They compete better in the race track and such. Brittany's mom is a registered masseuse for people. We joke that Brittany will massage the horse and my aunt will massage the jockeys. Mom and daughter business. [Providing they don't provide them "happy endings" haha.

Tyl

My cousin Brittany, took these three pics;

Brittany, I and the truck. Brittany moved to London with me. We're not living in the same house or sub-division. She moved here to pursue her training as a horse masseuse. She's a very smart individual. Last year she started university studies in Guelph, ON in the medical field. She quickly dropped out when she was required to disect a human body. It freaked her out and decided to switch her studies as a registered horse masseuse. Problem is, there's only three private institutions in the world teaching this field. London, ON being the only North American. The other is in Finland and Australia, I beleive. There is opther ones, however they're not registered.

Why massage horse? They compete better in the race track and such. Brittany's mom is a registered masseuse for people. We joke that Brittany will massage the horse and my aunt will massage the jockeys. Mom and daughter business. [Providing they don't provide them "happy endings" haha.

Tyl

Thats pretty cool, I had never heard of a Horse Masseuse before... :p:

A quick check of Wikipedia about the trim levels (1980-83 Trucks):

* Custom- Base model with manual locks/windows, vinyl seat, and black rubber floor mat.
* Ranger- Intermediate trim that added a color-keyed floor mat, extra chrome, and woodtone dash trim.
* Ranger XLT- A step up from the Ranger that added better seat trim, a color-keyed headliner, color-keyed carpeting, aluminum tailgate trim and optional power windows/locks.
* Ranger Lariat- a step above the XLT that added a plusher interior.

Looks like you have the Ranger XLT, without the PW and PL... :)

tylstruck

Thanks for the info. No pw or pl. There is no headliner, and the carpet is a black bushy carpet. Both may have been removed somewhere down the line. I do have the front window trim and aluminum slider rear window. The bench seat also has blue plastic covers ontop the metal frame attaching the lower half of the seat to the top, on the side braces.

It's quite the truck, and project with many returns, hopefully.

Tyl

Thanks for the info. No pw or pl. There is no headliner, and the carpet is a black bushy carpet. Both may have been removed somewhere down the line. I do have the front window trim and aluminum slider rear window. The bench seat also has blue plastic covers ontop the metal frame attaching the lower half of the seat to the top, on the side braces.

It's quite the truck, and project with many returns, hopefully.

Tyl

Good luck on the project man. Cant wait to see some progress on it, to make it look clean and new and nice.

In the next year I am gonna look into buying my uncles old '85 Bronco (Custom, 4x4, same color as your stepside, carbed 300, 4speed). That would make a cool project for me. :)

If you have to replace the doors anyway, maybe you could find ones with the power stuff already in them. That would just reqire some wiring to hook them up.

Assuming you want power windows and locks.

Cruise could be hooked up with salvage yard parts, if it does not have it as well.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Don't know about up there but the interior parts r easy find here. Still allot on road.

Nice truck . I had several flare sides 74 longbed 79 short (sandbox conversion) and a 86 new.

If I build another short bed it will have this type of bed even if a 97. My cousin makes the main box u can hardly tell not factory .

Good luck on new toy . I wondered how u were . Didn't notice u on much .

tylstruck

Trucks of that era is rare out here. Used car dealers and junkyards just scrap anything not modern, anything under '97. Very seldomly I'll spot an old '80s or '70s trucking around. Am thinking of going to two junkyards tomorrow. Corey's had an '85 longbox and Randy's had two of them whnen I went a few weeks ago. They may have been crushed by now.

No worries, it may seem you lost me, but am still kicking it. Is harder now living on my own. Not much spare time as I used to have. And my wireless provider just continually bounces on and off.

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Tyl I have a 1980 Grill,headlight doors,stainless too( stainless trim is ok not mint) in nice shape,PM me if you are interested. I will let you have it reasonable and the price of shipping

tylstruck

Ah, I do have power locks....

DSCF0400.jpg

The inside door handle is missing on that door only, no worries, the pair of doors I got has everything. The old doors is PL, manual windows. The new doors is all manual. Would like to swap everything out to keep it original. Thhe left driver's side is missing the pl bezel and switch. Can only lock that door from the outside via the key.

Tyl

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts