Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How embarassing for GM....but fully expected.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...geId=151142?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2

But when the aforementioned four-speed in our Silverado fell on its own sword in the middle of traffic that Sunday morning, we lost all confidence in the Chevy.

Over a period of several weeks we had noticed a hard 1-2 shift while the transmission was cold. Once it warmed up, the shift action smoothed out. There were no signs of impending doom, so when we took the Silverado to Santa Monica Chevrolet-Buick for routine service, we asked the service personnel to look over the transmission.

After two days we called for an update. We were told the 3-4 clutch was losing hydraulic pressure and the piston was replaced under warranty. The technicians also reconditioned the transmission. When we reminded our trusty service advisor that the problem was with the 1-2 shift and off-neutral gear engagement, he assured us this was the proper fix. We picked up the truck and two miles later a hard 1-2 shift served as proof that the original issue remained.

We brought it back a few days later and were told by Santa Monica Chevrolet-Buick, "There is no problem. That is just how the truck shifts." Days later the problem came to a head with Senior Photographer Scott Jacobs at the wheel. Jacobs' voice was shaky on the phone. "The Silverado is parked at the office. The transmission locked up on me during a 2-3 shift. It screeched and lurched to a stop on Wilshire Boulevard. Drive doesn't work. Third doesn't work. Second doesn't work. First and reverse sort of work. The office was only a couple of blocks away so I was able to limp it back. An hour later and I'd have been on the Interstate 5 freeway headed to the Dodgers game. That was lucky."

GM Roadside Assistance came to our rescue, towing the Silverado from the office to the local Santa Monica dealership. We called to confirm the status of the vehicle later that afternoon. The advisor was surprisingly frank with his diagnosis. "We've had a rash of these lately...with the input housing busting as the mileage gets up there. It should be ready by end of day tomorrow." The forward sprag was replaced, the transmission again reconditioned and keys to the Silverado were back in our hands the next day.

Quite possibly my favorite part:

"Agility is not what the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado is about. Trucks are built for towing, hauling and general versatility. Nonetheless, we sent this Chevy through our usual battery of speed tests.

Acceleration from zero to 60 mph required 7.2 seconds and the quarter-mile fell in 15.5 seconds at 88.1 mph. By comparison, our long-term Tundra posted a 0-60-mph time of 6.9 seconds and a quarter-mile of 15.1 seconds at 93 mph. In this test, the Silverado's V8 and four-speed automatic was significantly outmatched by the Toyota's 5.7-liter V8 and six-speed.
When it came time to stop from 60 mph, the Silverado needed 139 feet. This was exactly 1 foot shorter than our long-term Tundra. Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton commented, "The ABS is refined with little kickback once activated. But there does not appear to be a brake-assist program, as one 95 percent application of the brakes did not activate ABS fully."

The 0.71g of lateral force generated by the Silverado is nearly identical to that achieved by the Tundra, while the Silverado's 57-mph speed through the slalom is slightly slower than the Toyota's 58.2 mph.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I read it a while back when you posted it. Just kinda skimmed the article and only read the parts where it talked crap about the truck. Made me smile :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I have never driven a Tundra, so I don't really have any right to comment (but this thread is boring so I will).

I hate driving automatic transmissions. That being said, if I have to drive one, I want it to be a GM 4-speed. Of all the ones I've driven, they're most consistently in the right gear, usually shift exactly when I want them to, and don't usually shift when I don't want them to. I still shift them manually if I'm hauling, but not all the time.

Drove a Lexus GX470 (newest Toyota product I've driven) with a small trailer in heavy traffic once (New Jersey Turnpike, GW Bridge, etc.) and it had a 5-speed automatic that, like every 5 or 6 speed auto I've driven, always wanted to kick up one gear whenever I eased off the throttle to cruise, so I'd have to wait a second for it to kick down every time I rolled back into the throttle. That transmission's only saving grace was the brilliant shifter gate that allowed me to manually put it in the gears I wanted very easily....but I think I used the lever about as much as I would have in a manual transmission for the busiest sections I drove on.

Last edited by a moderator:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
With the tow/haul mode and abundant power, the Tundra 6 speed is spectacular.

(you really need to drive one)

I will if I ever get the chance.

All the same, though...every manufacture of automatic with five or more speeds I've ever driven, shifts too much for me. I understand perfectly well in a technical sense why it's superior. But I still don't like automatics that shift up and down under me all the time while pulling a grade at more or less constant speed under light load, when I KNOW that in a manual trans vehicle, I could either pull the grade without shifting, or have to downshift once and pull the grade in that gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will if I ever get the chance.

All the same, though...every manufacture of automatic with five or more speeds I've ever driven, shifts too much for me. I understand perfectly well in a technical sense why it's superior. But I still don't like automatics that shift up and down under me all the time while pulling a grade at more or less constant speed under light load, when I KNOW that in a manual trans vehicle, I could either pull the grade without shifting, or have to downshift once and pull the grade in that gear.

Then you'll LOVE the manual mode in the Tundra trans!!!

Select the manual gate on the shifter, and flick it up or down to hold whatever gear you choose.

On a side note, I believe power is as much an indicator on whether a trans "hunts"..... regardless of forward gears.

The near 400HP of the Toy (and the fact the tow/haul mode holds gears a tad longer) actually allow the Tundra to hold a gear longer than my heavier, 310HP 4 speed F-250 V10.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Embarassing- hell, try "expected." I've ranted before about all the reason's I personally wouldn't own a 6.0 in one of those trucks. The tranny's just one of them, the crappy gas mileage is another. Edmunds needs to research their choices more before hitting the order blanks.

THE Silverado powertrain at that time was a 5.3 with 3.73 gears. Now it's the same, with the 6-speed auto and 3.42 gears. The 6.2/6-speed is available, but I'd still avoid it for the aforementioned mpg reasons. That, or go directly to a Denali or an Escalade is $$$'s aren't important.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
On a side note, I believe power is as much an indicator on whether a trans "hunts"..... regardless of forward gears.

True to an extent...but not always, in my experience. Mom had a '94 Explorer with the pushrod 4.0 and a 4-speed auto. My grandmother has a '99 with the 5-speed auto and the SOHC 4.0

Nana's has tons more power even though it's heavier (loaded 4x4 vs. mid-level 4x2), but it hunts WAY more than the '94 did.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts