Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

volarie IFS

Fellro

Staff member
Found this in a search...
1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956 Ford F-100 (F100) Volare Suspension

While not considered a show suspension exactly, the Volare suspension is well suited to the 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956 Ford F-100 (F100). It fits on the frame well, and maintains good geometry. Width is nearly perfect for the Ford F-100 (F100). The donor cars have similar weight as your Ford F-100 (F100), so the suspension components are substantially strong. Ride height has some adjustability and that is attractive to lower your 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956 Ford F-100 (F100). Be aware that you can reduce the torsion bar pre-load adjustment, but the ride can be too soft at the expense of handling, and probably not what you want. Drop spindles for the Volare suspension are available to lower your truck properly, but are pricey. Finding a donor car is pretty easy. Tons of Chrysler cars used this suspension from the mid 70's to late 80's. You don't necessarily have to find a Volare automobile. This makes this suspension swap inexpensive. The key is finding a good donor that isn't worn out. Benefits include a fantastic IFS ride, power steering and nearly 11 inch diameter power disc brakes. Wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4 - 1/2 inches which matches up with other Ford bolt patterns. Finding a 9 inch rear end with the same bolt pattern should be easy. Stock 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956 Ford F-100 (F100) wheels may not work on this suspension as the hubs are bigger.

Taking the suspension out of a donor car is fairly easy. You simply unbolt the front k-member and suspension from the donor car. Installation involves knotching the existing Ford F-100 (F100) frame to allow clearance, but the frame remains stock otherwise. This install requires some fabrication skill, but is not terribly difficult. A Volare suspension swap is a graft onto the Ford F-100 (F100) frame and should be welded on, not bolted. No Limit Engineering used to have a video that showed this install. Check with them before you install this suspension. Remember, you should box the frame with the Volare suspension. One down side to this system is that the power steering box sometimes gets in the way of engines (headers/exhaust).
http://www.f100central.com/frontsusp.html
Plymouth Volare, Dodge Aspen, Chrysler New Yorker (Ithink on the Chrysler) use the same suspensions.

bobf100

Jake - the volare works good but it isn't pretty. You'll you need to cut up the front end of your truck frame and weld in the volare unit. Before you make that decision take a look at the November 2008 Custom Classic Trucks magazine (just hit the stands). Bob's F100 Parts has developed an IFS that bolts to the f100 frame. It offers adjustable A-arms and gives you a custom front cross-member and motor mount system that is adaptable to whatever motor you decide to run. IMO it looks fairly decient but I would probably weld it in instead of bolting.

Also...think about how old the volare type suspension is now. Yes...you can get them cheap, but you would probably need to replace every bearing, bushing, rotor, seal, and just about everything else under there before you installed it.

I have not seen the magazine Bob mentioned (I can't afford to buy stuff that I do not have to have right now), but have read the buzz on the net about it. I prefer welding too (as you know). That is my personal opinion though.

Fellro

Staff member
I agree with Brian on that, never seen one that didn't need a ball joint and bushing replacement. I don't much care for the Mustang II suspensions either because of durability as well. Look into Aerostar front suspensions, they use the a-frame setups like the Vics, but the whole suspension bolts out. You could weld it in rather than bolt it back though.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Roger- don't the Aerostars share a great deal with 2wd Rangers?

I've never looked at an Aero closely, but I think a lot of repair manuals for my truck cover them, too. Just throwing that out there...I could be way off-base.

Ian: Yes a lot of the 2WD ranger parts are the same. I checked a lot of the parts numbers when I was looking at the aerostar.

The aerostar is not a bad choice. A lot newer and some were 9 passenger. Parts (I assume) should not be hard to get.

The one issue I see with them is the small ford bolt pattern (same issue with jag and others). The 57-72 9" truck rear (almost bolt in) run the regular truck pattern. If you go that route, I would recommend having the rear axles re-drilled so that all 4 wheels are the same.

If you get seriously interested in the aerostar, let me know. I will look for a how to article somewhere.

Fellro

Staff member
Rotors and brake parts are the same, and the guts from the rear axles are as well. Aerostars use coil rears, while Rangers of course are leaf. It doesn't take all that much to ad spring pads to an axle though. The front on Rangers are also the little twin I beam for a while, later ones maybe not so much.

The older 2.9 aerostars had the 7.5 rear axle. Weak IMHO. The later 4.0 ones had the 8.8 which is stronger, if you are going to use that axle. I have no clue how wide it is.

The explorer rear axles will swap over (correct width), but you have to move the spring pads from the bottom to the top and I think the shock mounts might need to be moved as well.

The 90-94 explorers had rear drum brakes and the 95-01 had disk. The 02+ are IRS (8.8). I am not aware of anyone swapping one of them over yet. They

That could be a cool swap to get IRS if they are the correct width.

That's lot of great info. I've never heard about Aerostar fronts. It is something to look into. i would like info on the rear axle widths and years to use. My truck has a 9" truck rear with the BP changed to 4.5" to match the Volare. I would like a softer ride more "carlike". It won't be used as a truck much. Any body have a good (cheep) idea on what to do to the bed floor. I'm thinking of a steel floor from something else, Van or truck ? Spike

Fellro

Staff member
The nice thing for you is that the Volare and the Aerostar/Ranger share the same bolt pattern. ford cars, Chrysler cars/trucks/vans shared the same bolt pattern, as do many light duty trailers.

I was not aware of that. Interesting that the volare and ranger/aerostar/broncoII/explorer all had the same bolt pattern.

I assume the back spacing would be different among them? Just asking.

As far as the year widths...most people go for the 9" from the 57-72 trucks or the explorers (8.8). Drum or disk explained above.

The springs are what would improve the ride and make it more car like. I have seen quite a few different spring packs swapped in. I have seen people remove some leaves (read the mid-fifty catalog for that one). There are 4 link setups you can buy too.

Mine is the stock suspension. All the bushings have been replaced. The spring packs have been taken apart, cleaned, and lightly painted.

What helped mine the most (still is a truck so it rides like one!) was the poly liners (mid-fifty) between the leaves and good shocks.

DSCF0919.jpg

Bed floor? You could weld in a modern steel bed floor. I don't like the look myself.

Mine is a piece (2 parts really) of concrete form "plywood". Not sure of the proper name. It will not rot. It has been run through a table saw and grooved for the original bed strips.

It is old and faded. I keep it outside and it never had a coating of any sort. A lot of people ask me is it the original wood from 1956.

I do not have a full picture to post tonight, but here is a partial:

DSCF0924.jpg

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I believe the backspacing to be similar. I have swapped them back and forth for years. You can even find some front drive vehicles with the same bolt circle, but obviously the backspacing is considerably different... My dad's trailer originally came with factory Ford type wheels for a Ranger or Aerostar, but 15". That is where I got a lot of experience with the different applications that use that bolt circle, as he doesn't seem to know how to keep the lugs tight.. That and a number of stripper vehicles over the years.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That is interesting stuff to know. The 1st and 2nd gen rangers used 15" wheels (the 4X4s anyway). I think the 2WDs used 14" back then.

At some point the 4X4s switched to 16". My 01 explorer came stock with them.

They were putting 14" on 4x2 Rangers until at least '97....and I think that they may still put 15" steelies on some 4x4 Rangers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts