Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'87 EFI Info

Does anyone know of any good websites where you can download a manual or just information on checking all the sensors on an EFI engine? I have a 4x4 '87 F150 with a 302 EFI engine and 4-speed manual trans that has started acting up lately. I have to crank usually 3-4 times before it will stay running and then sometimes it idles bad, speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. If you let it set and idle for a minute or so, it'll smooth out and does all right but the gas milage has really dropped off lately and with the price of gas, that really hurts the ol' wallet. It has never had anything just above idle since I've owned the truck, when you try to accelerate, it goes from idle to about 1500-1700 RPM when you just barely touch the throttle. I really need the proper readings for testing the sensors before I start trying to locate my problem.
Thanks for any help.

blacksnapon

Staff member
That particular engine combination was more prone to vacuum leaks than anything. Get all of those secured, then look toward the IAC (idle air control) motor (another problem area)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts